I am new on here and after several attempts over the last three days I managed to get on here. Been playing Swordpoint or should I say Sorepoint for the last few months and I am finding the rules Very hard going ( I thought Flames of war was bad enough, its a walk in the park compared to these). Firstly my observation is that the rules are poorly written, in that it seems that they are written by someone who knows the Rules inside out but forgets that new people do not. Rules are disjointed, contradictory, and vague and hard to find.
For example the Drilled Rules, first three paragraphs, contradict each other, or are not written clearly. You should not have to read several different sections flicking back and forth through the book to find a rule.
This said I am playing the game. Now for the questions:
1. 5 Enemy units charge in Battle line Charge your Battle line. He gets 5 Momentum, can only use 3 in the combat. His opponent beats all 5 and pushes them back 4". Receives only 2 Momentum for the entire combat????
2. Opponents Skirmishers behind a formed units that are pushed back into them, force the unit to flee if gap/destroyed if non!!!?? Skirmish cavalry can get behind too easily
3. EIR: No Heavy Armour option for the Legions???!?, Auxiliary infantry do not get Large shield !!???! The Auxiliary Shield were the same size as the Legionaries Shield.
4. EIR: Centurions Vs Legates: What do Centurions do? If Legate can only lead a Legionary unit, but says your unit can be lead by a Centurion?? please clarify, explain leading.
5. 6 Skirmish Cavalry in 1 base wide 6 deep get to fire with 6 dice?? whist skirmish inf in same formation get 2, Overpowered for formation
6. Drilled troops charged in flank or rear should have the option to turn to face the enemy if enemies charge is over say 2" for Inf, 9" for cav?
7. Unit charged in flank wins combat forces enemy to fall back, how do they follow up? maybe allow them to turn to face.
8. Unit fighting to flank should have option to change facing if win a combat.
9. Skirmishers block Formed troops from advancing if within 1", found a situation that prevented a formed unit from advancing due to skirmishers being 1" away, yet the unit could not charge them. Maybe Skirmishers should fall back from advancing Formed troops, Hey wait Ludicrous, you cant advance your legion of 500 highly trained men because those 6 skirmishers are blocking your way.
10. Drilled troops: unit is 6 bases, 2 ranks or 3 turn to flank now is unformed due to it being 2 bases wide ???!?
11. 2 units in battle line charge 2 enemy units not in battle line, one takes 6 casualties, causing 3 and the other unit causes 5 taking 1. is that 2 separate combats with the loosing unit getting the benefit of the unit next to it for results purposes.
12. Cataphracts with 2+ save. 4 bases of Cataphacts can hold up a 6 base legion for indefinitely for 1/2 the points. Maybe there should be a prolonged combat modifier for troops in very heavy armour due to fatigue??
13. Skirmishers firing into combat: should only fire into bases that are not in base to base combat. Situation arose where my oppo fired into a combat and all he could see was a 1/2 cm of a unit with his skirmish column of horse archers, lost 2 bases to archery.
14. drilled troops rules, first 3 paragraphs contradict each other, either they turn for free or it costs a 1/4 or 1/2 which is it? perhaps a comma is in the wrong place.
15. QRS is in wrong place should have been in the back of the book or supplied on card like most other games used to, I think people are forgetting how useful these were.
Okay enough bashing..lets play