Shielded when shooting

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
DennisW

Shielded when shooting

Postby DennisW » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:48 pm

I just had another look at this and the end of 1.2 on page 13 reads that shooters cannot claim use of shield. Whilst I agree for missle weapons that need two hands ( bows, crossbows etc) I would have thought that darts and to a certain extent javelins could claim shielded. Slings (and atl atl?) may be debatable due to the space needed to wind up the shot. what do you think?

Leading on from this is shooting from shield walls, eg darts from legionaries and Javelins from Daylami. Does shooting remove shield wall or is there a strange situation where shield wall exists for hitting but unshielded to save? My thought is that these troops get the full shield wall benefit whilst shooting.

Wayne Richards

Re: Shielded when shooting

Postby Wayne Richards » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi Dennis -"troops shooting with bows or crossbows cannot use their shields" (first paragraph p13 main rules)

Troops shooting with hand hurled missiles can use their shields, so the shieldwall benefit would apply.
Cheers W.

DennisW

Re: Shielded when shooting

Postby DennisW » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks Wayne, I missed that; and that's the way we play it. However the final paragraph on page 13 (1.2) implies that shooters cannot use Shields.

Thanks Dennis

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”