Cavaly Counter charges

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
masada

Cavaly Counter charges

Postby masada » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can answer a question for me.
Infantry get a charge in against cavalry. What happens ????
I have been playing that the cavalry either evade if able or can hold{silly) or counter charge(most likely). If the cavalry couter charge does this cancel the infantry charge and they hold, as I said this is how I have been doing it.
Is this correct or are the cavalry stuck for allowing themselves to be charged by infantry

MartinG

Re: Cavaly Counter charges

Postby MartinG » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Cavalry can declare a countercharge as a response to any charge against them, except one from an elephant. The rules don't change because they are charged by infantry. Of course a charge by close order foot is likely to start so close to the cavalry that they may not have room for a successful countercharge!
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

masada

Postby masada » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks for the answer MartinG, this is what my son and I discussed. Cavalry letting themselves be charged by infantry CAN counter charge but the infantry, as the chargers, hit first. Potentially very painful for the cavalry who will probably lose bases before they have a chance to hit back, ouch.
However, as a retired member of Her Majesties Lancers, I am well aware that the role of the cavalry is to stop the field turning into a horrid brawl. If they are stupid enough to allow themselves to be duffed over by a bunch of smelly footsloggers then they only have themselves to blame :D

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:28 am

Quite so old chap!

masada

Postby masada » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Thanks mate, love the rules, my brother an I are doing a 2000 point game at the Bournemouth show this weekend. Rome vs the Seleuciuds, should be a mega match

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Get us some pictures!

dave.p

Postby dave.p » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi Martin.
In your initial response to this question in Feb 2017 you wrote that cavalry cannot counter-charge elephants. Is this still true?

When cavalry counter-charge they are moved 1/3rd of the distance towards the chargers. If they are blocked from moving the requisite distance, do they receive any charge bonuses? What if they cannot move as much as an inch?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:41 am

Cavalry cannot counter charge elephants, but may elect to stand against them if they pass their test.

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 am

So when charged by elephants cavlary take a terror test. If the fail they run away. If they pass they 'may evade' as per the rule book or chose to stand and take the charge.

Must admit I had read that previously as thay evade if they pass a cohesion test.

Would War Wagons be treated in the same way as cavalry?

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”