Question about Cumulative award of Tokens for Combat

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
olivier

Question about Cumulative award of Tokens for Combat

Postby olivier » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:38 pm

I have a question about the QRS table "Cumulative award of Tokens for Combat", corresponding to paragraph 3.3 on page 29 of the Rulebook.

(a) If I win a combat with Combat Result Differential 4-5 (line 3 of the Combat Result Table)
I receive 1 token (because I forced my enemy to take a Break Test)
and if my enemy fails his break test, I receive another 3 tokens
+ another token if I run him down
Total: 4 tokens if my enemy breaks and flees, and even 5 tokens if I run him down

Do you agree so far? :?:

MEANWHILE:

(b) If If I win the same combat with Combat Result Differential 6+ (line 4 of the Combat Result Table)
I receive 3 tokens cos I broke my enemy and forced him to flee
+ another token if I run him down
Total: 3 tokens bcs my enemy breaks and flees, and 4 tokens if I run him down

Do you also agree with that ? :?:

What confuses me is that in case (a), I win by "only" 4-5 and I receive 4 tokens if my enemy breaks (even 5 tokens when I run him down)
... while in case (b), I win the combat even more (6+) but I only receive 3 tokens (respectively 4 when I run down my enemy)

It seems a bit unlogical to me that an overwhelming victory (CR 6+) would grant me one token less than a major victory (CR 4-5)... :roll:

Or did I mis-understood the cumulative award of tokens ? :?: :?: :?:

Thanks again for your help! :)

Wayne Richards

Re: Question about Cumulative award of Tokens for Combat

Postby Wayne Richards » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi Olivier, firstly always use the rule book over the QRS.

In both examples - you don't receive an extra token for running down the fleeing troops. Remember they have broken as a result of a "break test" not a "cohesion test".

Example 1 earns 4 tokens and example 2 earns 3 tokens.
Cheers W.

olivier

Postby olivier » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks Wayne!
OK, my bad for the extra token. :oops:

Still, the differential between example 1 and example 2 seems a bit unlogical to me:
why 3 tokens only in example 2 (overwhelming combat with CR 6+) while I receive 4 tokens in example 1 (which is a less obvious victory, with CR 4-5) ?

Intuitively, I would have thought that the higher the Combat Result Differential, the more tokens I should receive ... no? :?: :?:
I understand this is the way the rule is drafted, but I don't understand the logic behind...

Thanks again for the help! :)

Wayne Richards

Postby Wayne Richards » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi Olivier - think of it like this;
- Superior French knights charge into a rank of some poor open order inferior archers. They easily auto-break them, so gain 3 momentum. No glory there. ;)
- A Gallic warband charges into a sturdy Roman legion, a vicious melee ensues but the warband manage to win by 2 causing the Romans to test (reading the result 1 line lower). Despite their solid leadership, the Romans break ! so the warband gains 4 momentum tokens. A worthy feat of arms that deserves that extra token :)

Cheers W.

olivier

Postby olivier » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:11 pm

I see!
So basically causing a tough opponent to (unexpectedly) break is rewarded more than auto-breaking into a less robust opponent.

Makes sense! ;)

Thanks again Wayne. :)

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”