Charging into & out of Woods

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
Mikeharding

Charging into & out of Woods

Postby Mikeharding » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 am

Following on from the note about shooting into woods and Bobs reply of sending someone into a wood to remove then. I was playing against Dave J on Wednesday and my Vikings (open order) were in a wood, obviously could not be shot at, but my understanding is that there is no restriction on charging into or out of a wood, except for the movement penalty. Our club mates thought you could only see up to an inch in a wood (due to trees blocking line of slight), so I did not charge that turn until I was an inch away. But I thought the 1 inch rule was an old WAB rule, and I checked the rules again last night and found no reference to line of sight being blocked in a wood, the only charge restriction is Difficult Terrain movement penalty. Can someone please let me know if you can charge into/out or within a wood provided you have the movement allowance, or have I missed the 1 inch line of slight rule in a wood? Thanks Mike

Wayne Richards

Re: Charging into & out of Woods

Postby Wayne Richards » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:18 am

Hi Mike - my understanding is that there is nothing to stop a unit charging into or out of a wood. Cheers W.

lero

Postby lero » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:29 pm

This is the rules but the 1 inch visibility seems to be a good rule to add.
Because, seeing heavy cavalry charging infantery in a wood with no other penalty than movement is not a good news as they keep shock cavalry, lance bonus and so on.
Or forbiding formed mounted charges in a forest ?
But some rule is to be added here, this is a flaw to correct quickly.
The idea of seeing knights charging in the wood won't add any credit to the game !

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:49 am

This issue is addressed in the FAQ and in this earlier thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51. I think that it would be a good idea to add it to the official Swordpoint Errata, as well.
VENTOSA VIRI RESTABIT

lero

Postby lero » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Yes it would be, thanks for clarification.
Lero

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”