Walled enclosure - obstacle - shooting at skirmishers

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
k_p

Walled enclosure - obstacle - shooting at skirmishers

Postby k_p » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Laying terrain.

I placed a walled enclosure. Is this legal?

The hard cover from the walls makes skirmishers impossible to hit with other missile troops where they need a 7 if not superior shooters

If the enemy missile troops need a 7 can they target other troops who are not closest instead?

lero

Re: Walled enclosure - obstacle - shooting at skirmishers

Postby lero » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:32 pm

I think they should target other troops, seems logical even if the rule do not specify this case.

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:57 pm

My reading of the rules is that it would be legal for you to place hard cover when setting up the game. However, the rulebook also recommends that your opponent should then be able to choose which side of the battlefield he will fight from. Alternatively, you and your opponent could follow the alternate placement method given in the rulebook for setting up the game for competitive play.

The rules for target priority in shooting also seem pretty clear to me. If the skirmisher unit behind hard cover is the nearest unit to the missile troops and is capable of charging them, then the missile troops must shoot at the skirmishers as their first priority. One solution would be to move the missile troops out of charge range and utilize them elsewhere, and then use heavier formed infantry to charge the skirmishers in hard cover and drive them away. OTOH, if the missile troops are in a formed unit, the skirmishers cannot charge them, and so the formed missile unit does not have to prioritize them.
VENTOSA VIRI RESTABIT

k_p

Postby k_p » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for response.

We used the standard terrain setup.
Choose 4 and place alternatively.
I placed the obstacle in the middle of my lines to help protect the a flank against Sassanids without realising the factors when being shot at.:)
Proved to be successful but didn't stop the legionaries being rolled over.

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”