disngaging

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
duxjack

disngaging

Postby duxjack » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:57 am

Hello

i play a roman polybian army vwith a dictator, 3 unit of hastati (3 socle, Light armor) and 3 unit of principes (3 socles, Drilled).
I am in battle with a Pyric army.

on a turm i was in close combat with 2 phalanx (6 socles) : on each phalanx I have 1 hastati aand 1 principes

with the HTW i win by 1 each combat, 1 phalanx lose a socle.

on the next turn thre is no charge on my unit, could I

1) disengage the 2 unit of principes with no cohésion test for make a new charge on the phalanx the next turm with the HTW bonus

2) disengag all my unit with a cohésion test for the hastati (10 with the dicttor) for make a new charge on the phalanx the next turm with the HTW bonus

can th pyrric player prevent my disengagment ?

MartinG

Re: disngaging

Postby MartinG » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:32 pm

The drilled troops can disengage without test, the others must test.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:13 pm

To address the HTW aspect of the OP, historically the Roman pilum was a one-use weapon, and the rules state that the HTW bonus can be used in the first round of combat only. I would argue that the HTW cannot be used a second time by the same unit, even if it has disengaged and charged again. IMHO, for the same unit to have the HTW bonus a second time against the same opponent appears rather 'gamey' and 'cheesy.'
VENTOSA VIRI RESTABIT

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:36 pm

While I have some sympathy with this, the rules say first round of each conbat so the bonus applies-we have to keep it simple. Rationalise it by assuming the maniples that were at the front in the previous combat have been rotated out and replaced by fresh troops still holding their pila.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Many thanks for the clarification, Martin. I am a Roman player myself, so I certainly won't object any further. ;)
VENTOSA VIRI RESTABIT

lero

Postby lero » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:38 pm

And if my memory is correct a legionary owns two pila, one a little lighter than the other.

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:43 pm

A legionary did not carry an unlimited number of pila, but as Martin has said the rules allow a unit to receive the HTW bonus for the first round of every combat it fights, not just one or two of them. Notwithstanding, I fully accept and understand this as an abstraction that helps to keep the game from being overly complicated. 8-)
VENTOSA VIRI RESTABIT

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”