About face and manoeuvres

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
lero

About face and manoeuvres

Postby lero » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Can you make a manoeuvre after an about face ?
Lero

Bob Stradling

Re: About face and manoeuvres

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 am

Yes, it takes half your turn to about face and then you can continue to move applying all the normal rules.

lero

Postby lero » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks for the answer. So you can about face and make a not straight move and place you at 90°. As if you made a 90 to the side, not by turning each figs but with all unit, is that correct ?

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 pm

I would say that is not correct, because such a maneuver would be illegal according to the criteria given at the bottom of page 20. The rules also make it quite clear that a non-drilled unit must Change Formation in order to turn 90 degrees to its own flank.
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:52 am

Once you have about faced - then follow the normal rules

Example 1 - Open order infantry - could go straight back 4" and then do another about face for free

Example 2 Open order cavalry- could move 6" measured from the centre of the unit. So as long as the centre of the unit stays in the front arc of the unit then it can pivot on the centre of the unit. It cannot pivot to such an extent that the imaginary lines from the front corners to its original starting position overlap. Then you have a legal move

Example 3 - close order infantry within 8" of enemy - could go back 1" and about face again or 1.5" and pivot, or 2" straight back.

Mikeharding

Postby Mikeharding » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi Bob, I know we have all been playing the way you note in your examples, but I raised a similar point a few weeks ago with Dave P & Dave J who also discussed with a few people at the Derby event. They all agree with what you have stated.
However, a few weeks ago when I was reading over the rules again, I found on page 20 under 5.2 the statement "If it moves other than straight ahead then it loses 25% of its movement allowance. the only restrictions on this movement are that the unit cannot turn about to face the way it has come, and cannot change formation."
To me the above statement means that if you want to about face then you can only go in a straight line. I expect this is to stop us from moving back at an angle to avoid an enemy charge as their centre may not be able to contact the unit.
This may be a Martin question, let me know what you think the above statement is referring to, as I may be reading it incorrectly?
Mike

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:52 am

Hi Mike, away for a couple of days without the rule book so what I am about to say is totally unsupported (as per normal).

Is the comment in 5.2 made in the context of moving other than straight ahead? In which case it is there to stop people moving forward 6" and then pivoting around so far as to effectively looking back the way they have come i.e. an 180 degree wheel rather than a counter march to about face.

The about face takes half a move, you still have half a move to do what you want.

I think I would have to see a situation where you would be avoiding a charge by not allowing the centre of the enemy unit get to you (but sounds like a good tactic ;-) ), but I presume you have seen this.

I think there are some issues where the alignment of units can stop people getting in. I know of one situation at Derby (Worlds end!) where there were units on both sides abutting other units but unable to get in as they were too wide for the centre to get in. When in all likelihood they would just advance into contact. I know the counter argument would be they have to maneuver etc, but you may not want to drop from a 4 base wide unit to a one base wide unit to contact a base of an opposing unit that is not fully engaged and you may also not want to move on to a flank for fear of exposing your own flank or from falling foul of the 1" rule.

Sometimes these anomalies will happen, it is just asking how often they are and does it spoil the game. We need to be careful about getting what we wish for.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:18 pm

The statement referred to is in 5.2 Manoeuvres on page 20. It refers to a simple move; about face and change formation are separate and covered by their own paragraphs. So you can perform an about face (5.2.1) taking half a move, and may then make a move governed by 5.2 and so on.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”