Flank charge from the battle line

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
billS

Flank charge from the battle line

Postby billS » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Three 2 deep units are in line of battle. The left hand unit is in combat with an enemy unit. The centre unit wishes to declare a charge on the flank of he enemy unit. However, to achieve this charge, the rearmost ranks will contact the right hand unit during the move.

Is this charge legal? In reality, the rearmost troops would not move to the right during this manoeuvre, but bases and movement trays make this happen in wargaming.

MartinG

Re: Flank charge from the battle line

Postby MartinG » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:35 pm

If you follow the movement rules correctly then this move is perfectly feasible. Remember the unit that wishes to charge needs to have crossed the line across the front of the enemy unit to count a flank charge. Once in contact, the unit will still be in line of battle with its friends to the left.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

billS

Postby billS » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks Martin. I was reading test 2 on bottom of page 20 which says "Look at the area that will be swept by the unit footprint during its move" etc. I was taking the unit footprint to be the movement tray in effect, but I should interpret it as the area swept by the footprint of the front rank, which gets rid of the artificial sideways movement cause by bases and movement trays!

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:28 pm

That's it exactly.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”