Battle line and incomplete rear ranks

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
billS

Battle line and incomplete rear ranks

Postby billS » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:49 am

Three units arranged as per the diagram below. As can be seen unit B has an incomplete rear rank

-----BBB
AAAB---CCC
AAA-----CCC

Units A and B are clearly in a battle line, but do units B and C also count as being in a battle line?

Or in other words, do you count an incomplete rear rank as covering the same width as the front rank, or not?

(ignore the dashes - they are only there because submitting the post removes the spaces which mucks up the diagram somewhat!)

MartinG

Re: Battle line and incomplete rear ranks

Postby MartinG » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:26 am

I don't understand your diagram, but the principle is that you assume the bases forming the incomplete rear rank are where you need them to be, for good or ill (i.e. the opponent may make the same assumption)
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

billS

Postby billS » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 am

Unit A is a unit of 6 bases arranged

AAA
AAA

and unit B is a unit of 4 bases arranged

BBB
B

unit C is a unit of 6 bases arranged

CCC
CCC

The rear rank of B is in line with the front rank of A, is within one inch of A and is in the flank of A and so forms a battle line. The rear rank of B is also in line with the front rank of C, but the incomplete rear rank means that there is no actual unit B base within an inch of C which is also behind the flank zone of C.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:57 am

Still haven't a clue. However as per my comment above, you would assume there was a base of B within an inch of C if that was what you needed in order to have a line of battle.

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:27 pm

I think that the OP is asking whether, since there is only a single base in the rear rank of unit B, that single base can form a Line of Battle with both units A and C at the same time, even though the single base in B cannot be within one inch of both of the other units at the same time. If all of that is correct, then my assessment is that B can choose to move the rear base and form a Line of Battle with either A or C, but is not able to do so with both at the same time. That is, I have always played it as per the rules, i.e. that if no part of a unit (in the OP's case B) is within 1 inch of another unit (C), then those two units do not form a Line of Battle.
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Ah right. That would be the best interpretation then.

billS

Postby billS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:42 am

OK - so we go with A lot of Gaul's interpretation.

Thanks chaps.

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”