Mixed order

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
Andyjp

Mixed order

Postby Andyjp » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:38 pm

Just some clarification please
A. I’m assuming when charged mixed order missile troops retire to the rear ranks for free.
B. The front of the unit dose not change position; otherwise The measurement of the charge will increase by one or more base depths, which might mean it fails to make contact.
C.for shooting If the unit is a 50/50 split in troop types the defence value is picked by the unit owner ie the better one is used.
D. If two ranks of missile troops are in front of the unit the second rank shooting bonus are applied.
E. In close combat you fight the bases you are touching.
F. For Special rules to apply to the unit, at least half the front rank of bases at the time, must have those special rules. Ie stubborn

What do you guys think?
Cheers
Andy

"Religious wars are basically people killing each other over who has the better imaginary friend" -Napoleon Bonaparte

MartinG

Re: Mixed order

Postby MartinG » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:27 am

a) yes
b) yes
c) rules specify the Defence value of the missile troops is always used.
d) yes
e) yes
f) yes
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Andyjp

Postby Andyjp » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:03 pm

C) I thought The rules say; the unit uses the defence value of the majority of troops in the unit, (not got rules with me) hence my 50/50 question.
Cheers
Andy

"Religious wars are basically people killing each other over who has the better imaginary friend" -Napoleon Bonaparte

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:11 am

Andy has remembered the wording for Mixed Order correctly, at least according to my copy of the rulebook.
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Sorry yes you are right, I was away from work and only had a late test copy of the rules with me-didn't realise that had changed!

Davidh

Postby Davidh » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 am

A further question on mixed order.

The rule states that on receiving a charge, the missile armed troops retire to the rear ranks allowing the other infantry to fight in combat and also that, if you later want to bring the missile troops forward again, it costs half a move to do so. However, what happens if it is the mixed order unit that wants to initiate a charge? Do the missile armed troops retire to the back for free as part of the charge allowing the other infantry to to occupy the front and fight in combat, or does it cost half a move to bring forward the non-missile armed infantry? If it does cost half a move and there is sufficient movement allowance to bring forward the non-missile infantry and still execute the charge, can they do so as part of the charge?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:18 am

The swap before charging is free.

DennisW

Postby DennisW » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:21 pm

If after combat the archers are in the rear of the mixed unit, is there any compulsion/ penalty in leaving the bows in the rear. The bows could still effectively shoot in the second rank acting like a combined formation

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:32 pm

None at all.

Davidh

Postby Davidh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:23 am

I had a further thought on whether a mixed order unit should retire its non-archers to the back, so I have the following questions / suggestion.

If a unit is in combined order, then the non-archers are stationed at the front with the archers at the back. As per p.42 3rd para under combined units, these archers do not get the second row bonus when shooting.

However, with a mixed order unit, there could be more than one row of archers and they are instead normally stationed at the front, so I presume they should get the second row bonus when firing (the Mixed order rules do not specifically cover this). If, after a charge and melee, the archers are left at the back. So, would the second row bonus for shooting apply to 2 rows of archers at the back of a formation?

If the non-archers are later retired to the back then the archers are again at the front and would they then have the second row firing bonus?

If they can have the bonus when the archers make up the front ranks but not when they make up the rear ranks, that would be an incentive to lose half a move to reform the mixed order unit back to having non-archers at the back and archers at the front.

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”