Charging and Evading

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
BJ Barry

Charging and Evading

Postby BJ Barry » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:32 am

Hi to all,
a little doubt about charging cavalry skirmishers that are part of a line of battle with an other cavalry unit.
I will use drwaings hoping to make myself clear:

The black unit is a cavalry unit that, for what I understand in the rules MUST charge the two units in a straight line, because the red units have a narrower front. The red units are cavakry skirmishers in line and a normal cavalry unit.
The doubt is: If the skirmishers succeds in evading, tha black unita charge is considered a failed charge?
I should say yes, because if it continue its charge can't contact the enemy cavalry with its center point, am I correct?

The second, but similar case, is if the skirmish unit it's not part of a line of battle:

In this case, tha black cavalry can charge the single skirmishers unit, if we assume that it will do it following a straight ahead line, and that the skirmishers are able to evade, the rule says that can impact other "revealed units" (4.7 page 19) but "without any chage of direction" so the end of the charge should be the same as before, and so could not be considered a charge but a fialed one, because it can't contact the enemy with its center point.

it's that correct?

Thank you in advance for any help

BJ Barry

Re: Charging and Evading

Postby BJ Barry » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:03 am

Just a last situation that could arose in the example above.

I f the skirmishers and cavalry are attacked and the skirmishers fail to evade, always thinking that the red cavalry won't countercharge, does the two enemy cavalry will fight a round of combat using only one base eanch?

thank You

Giorgio

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:29 am

The "straight ahead" mechanism applies when charging two units, as you say. as soon as the charge is against one unit, i.e. with the skirmishers evading, it no longer applies and the chargers will change direction to bring their centre front against the remaining unit. If the distance makes this impossible, then the charge will fail.
If the skirmishers are the sole object of the charge as in scenario 2, when they evade the chargers can pull up (failed charge) or keep going in the same direction, in which case they will hit the stationary unit off centre (just as they would if pursuing a beaten enemy).
Finally if both the target units remain stationary, then yes they will fight with one base each in your example.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

BJ Barry

Postby BJ Barry » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Thank You Martin

giorgio

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”