Possible Rules Amendments

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
Bob Stradling

Re: Possible Rules Amendments

Postby Bob Stradling » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:49 pm

Whilst we are all thinking about changes:

Discouraged troops - should they be allowed to initiate a charge? Should discouraged troops have to pass a cohesion test to charge the front of a non-discouraged troops? Levy - never allowed to charge whilst discouraged, drilled allowed to charge without a cohesion test

Talking of drilled - should drilled close order infantry be allowed to charge more than 4"? Presumably all that drilling has the benefit of allowing them to go a bit faster whilst maintaining formation. This would potentially give them the option to initiate charges more often rather than always having to wait around to receive a charge.

lero

Postby lero » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:57 am

Some thoughts from Paris :

-Troops armed with bows, longbows or crossbows and no named melee weapon are Inferior Fighters : YES !
-Inferior Fighters hit all but other Inferior Fighters on a 5+ in combat : YES !
-Levy missile troops do not get the bonus archery dice when shooting : YES !
-Levy troops who lose a combat read the result table one line lower than normal : YES !
-Warbands may not make voluntary retirements. YES if you mean disengagement otherwise specify.
-Skirmishers may move in any direction without movement penalty. They still lose 25% of their move when changing formation : YES !

If you have combined bases with a spearman and a crossbowman, then the rules 1 does not apply, does it ?

Lero

Darkman

Postby Darkman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Interesting thoughts and definitely workable.

Couple of controversial ideas. Reduce shooting to hitting on 5+ and reduce all ranges by ¼. I have found that the ranges make the game skirmish based.
Perhaps discouraged troops need a test to move. Otherwise what are they discouraged about?

lero

Postby lero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:09 am

Some thoughts from Paris :

-Troops armed with bows, longbows or crossbows and no named melee weapon are Inferior Fighters : YES !
-Inferior Fighters hit all but other Inferior Fighters on a 5+ in combat : YES !
-Levy missile troops do not get the bonus archery dice when shooting : YES !
-Levy troops who lose a combat read the result table one line lower than normal : YES !
-Warbands may not make voluntary retirements. YES if you mean disengagement otherwise specify.
-Skirmishers may move in any direction without movement penalty. They still lose 25% of their move when changing formation : YES !

If you have combined bases with a spearman and a crossbowman, then the rules 1 does not apply, does it ?

Lero
After more thinking, i modify my opinions :

1) NO, if cost doesn't improve for named melee weapon option. +1 for a weapon that grant advantages AND upgrade from 5+ to 4+ to hit , too cheap !
2) YES
3) YES
4) YES
5) NO, but YES if it concerns only warband that won previous combat. Warband are not easy to play and disengagement should remain an option when they draw or lose combat.
6) YES, but rules said about a 50% loss, not 25% (p.37).

Lero

Warren Gleeson

Postby Warren Gleeson » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:53 am

Hi Martin,

I appreciate that I have only had about half a dozen or so games so far but here are my thoughts anyway;

-Troops armed with bows, longbows or crossbows and no named melee weapon are Inferior Fighters. - sounds good - it would make choosing javelin armed skirmishers seem like a valid option to consider against the current freebie upgrades to bow or sling

-Inferior Fighters hit all but other Inferior Fighters on a 5+ in combat. - sounds good

-Levy missile troops do not get the bonus archery dice when shooting. - unsure, sounds OK

-Levy troops who lose a combat read the result table one line lower than normal. - I believe that the close order penalty they already incur is probably enough coupled with their not being able to use the general's cohesion value. My concern is that given that they are likely to be losing by more than 1 they will be forever taking cohesion tests because of the drop to the next line. We wouldn't see Levy with a -1 draw and so would be forever falling back at best, or testing and falling back. As an alternative proposal how about Levy have a general -1CR, whilst this would reduce their likelihood of winning it would also affect the CR differential table slightly, but not necessarily to result in a whole step change each time.

-Warbands may not make voluntary retirements. - seems thematically sensible

-Skirmishers may move in any direction without movement penalty. They still lose 25% of their move when changing formation. - The being able to move in any direction sounds good as I assume this now means left and right?. I'd still suggest that any direction other than straight ahead lose 25%. I'd also suggest to get rid of the 25% for changing formation as I've found the skirmish movement has tended to cause more discussion than other unit movement primarily because they are usually right in the thick of it between the two armies and their movement seems complicated for what they are. My suggestion would be to measure everything from the centre of a designated leader base and every other base needs to touch it either orthagnoally or diagonally at the end of the move. I appreciate that this would mean that the units would become more 'blobby' and more like a cloud, and it would also see the end to my very extruded cantabrian columns, but I suppose at least they would look more like a circle.

Cheers

Warren

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”