Skirmisher defence rating

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
Stephenkerr45

Skirmisher defence rating

Postby Stephenkerr45 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi, hoping someone can assist me as I try to work through my first game of Swordpoint.

I had two skirmisher units (Irish and British) shooting one another and I was working through the rules for that process. One unit of skirmishers had two hits on a 4 and the other unit failed to hit. So far so good.

However, the rules say to convert hits to kills your opponent rolls a d6 for each of those hits and attempts to roll equal to or higher than the defence value of the unit. This is where my trouble starts - the skirmisher units for Dark age Britain and Ireland have no defence value.

How do you go about establishing kills in this scenario?

I’m sure there’s a simple answer, but I have read all relevant sections of the rules and can find no exceptional circumstances that explain this. Maybe It’s staring me right in the face but I’m misinterpreting something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m really enthusiastic about this rule set and I’m tearing my hair out at the minute.

Thanks in advance!

Steve
Last edited by Stephenkerr45 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJ Barry

Re: Skirmisher defence rating

Postby BJ Barry » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi Steve,
defence value depends on armour protection.
With neither armour nor shield there's no defence value, that means that the hits goes through without any saving roll.
So 2 clear kills, and a skirmish base removal, in the scenario you face.

hope this helps
Giorgio

Stephenkerr45

Postby Stephenkerr45 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Ah ha! That makes sense (now that you’ve said it). Thank you!

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Easiest to think of the unprotected skirmishers as having D7. As you can't roll 7 with a D6 you can't save the hit.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”