Wedge/Boar's tooth formation

Xarepunk

Wedge/Boar's tooth formation

Postby Xarepunk » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:38 pm

Is there the possibility to portray an infantry wedge/boar's tooth formation in the rules, like to the one used to break up shieldwalls during the Viking age?

MartinG

Re: Wedge/Boar's tooth formation

Postby MartinG » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:51 pm

There is no intention to include such in the rules, but if you wanted to do this for your own games, I would suggest basing it on the cavalry wedge rule in To the Ends of the Earth.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:09 pm

Thanks. As I do not own this Campaign book, would you mind posting the Cavalry Wedge rule here, please?

Wayne Richards

Postby Wayne Richards » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi Xarepunk, there might be a special wedge rule in a Viking age supplement but that maybe someway off. In the mean time I would suggest something along these lines;

Infantry Wedge: represent this formation by placing the unit in column two bases wide. The unit counts as formed (as an exception to the usual rule regarding unit width). The wedge cannot strike points upon a unit, or multiple units in line of battle, less than two infantry base widths apart.
In combat, the unit throws 2d6 per base (ie 4), plus any additional dice generated by Commanders and weapon modifiers.
Combat resolution - if the unit in wedge charged that turn then it may add +2 to it's combat resolution to reflect the impact of its formation, and it's opponent reads their combat result one line lower. Note this only applies in the first round of combat and only if the wedge charged.

A wedge that loses a round of combat reads its combat result one line lower.

Cheers W.

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:25 pm

Interesting thoughts about the infantry wedge. I am not sure it wasn't anything more than the bravest/best equipped/most fool hardy/drunkest guys in the centre front of a mob of mates charging forward to encourage everyone to follow as quickly as possible and to punch a hole in any shield wall they faced.

I could see a potential initial combat bonus, (perhaps read the combat result one line lower) but, there must also be be a potential downside (perhaps not allowed to maintain shieldwall if charging as a wedge). I will have to play around and see what works.

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:56 pm

Hi,

thanks for your inspiring replys.

Regarding the basic concept, I fully agree with Bob: opponent reads combat result one line lower but Wedge unit cannot hold shieldwall.

I really like Wayne's suggestion for a special infantry wedge formation. Will definitely try this in some games and see how it works out,
Just one part confuses me (maybe because I am no native speaker?): "The wedge cannot strike points upon a unit, or multiple units in line of battle, less than two infantry base widths apart." What does this mean? As I understand it, you cannot attack a unit in line of battle at all. Could you explain this, please?

Also, could anybody post the cavalry wedge rule for comparison, please?

Wayne Richards

Postby Wayne Richards » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:06 am

Hi Xarepunk, here's a little diagram to illustrate.
Assume BBB, CCC and DDD are 3 infantry units in a battle line and VV and VV are two infantry wedges.
This would be ok as there is a 2 base gap between the wedges
BBBCCCDDD
VV.. VV
This wouldn't be ok, as there is only a 1 base gap between the wedges
BBBCCCDDD
VV. VV

Hope this helps explain . Cheers W.

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:16 pm

Thank you very much. This really helps understanding. So an attacking Infantry wedge can not benefit from the line of battle rule, which makes a lot of sense to me

Return to “Dark Age Armies”