Vikings

Dirkhrod

Vikings

Postby Dirkhrod » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Hello,

A few questions about the Viking list:

Do Berserkers count towards the maximum number of Commanders (which is 8) ?
If I upgrade a Hirdmen base with a Berserker, can I still have a Jarl or Hersir leading the unit ?

I am asking because even if I assume the Berserker counts as a commander and thus the upgrade would not be eligible in a unit led by a Hersir or Jarl, historically Berserkers (as basically a Lord's champion) were expected to be present precisely near the Lords. I am not exactly certain whether the Berserker is supposed to be just an upgrade to a Hirdmen base or whether he is supposed to be an alternative commander choice.

Many Thanks,
Dan

Dirkhrod

Re: Vikings

Postby Dirkhrod » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:15 pm

And another question:

What is exactly is the definition, RULESWISE, of a CONTINGENT? Because I have not encountered the term in the rulebook, but it is present when defining the restrictions for the Viking list, especially regarding the use of open order / close order troops.

It also says Viking armies were formed of several Contingents, only one of which is led by the General. But I am more interested in knowing if this allows me to use Closed Order Hirdmen together with Open Order Hirdmen in the same army, by having 2 Contingents ? And where is the limit, how many Contingents can I have ?

Many Thanks,
Dan

masada

Postby masada » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:28 pm

As far as I am aware both can be used in the army, you cannot mix them in a single unit. This is how it was explained to me and seems logical

Keith T

Postby Keith T » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:06 pm

First as Berserkers are listed under commanders I suspect you can only have a berserker in a unit and not a commander as well.

As for your open order option, I suggest all Hirdmen would be one or other [all open order or all close order] same for the Bondi.

Possible to have close order Hirdmen and open order Bondi ? The contingents are all from the same nation, as Vikings cover Danes, Norwegians, and Irish Vikings .
Just my thoughts.

Dirkhrod

Postby Dirkhrod » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks, but I was hoping for an official position on these issues, especially regarding the use of the term "contingent". It is really important.

Wayne Richards

Postby Wayne Richards » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Do Berserkers count towards the maximum number of Commanders (which is 8) ? - YES
If I upgrade a Hirdmen base with a Berserker, can I still have a Jarl or Hersir leading the unit ? - NO
Cheers W.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm

A contingent is a group of warriors from a single "state", for example Manx Vikings, Dublin Vikings, Islemen etc. Sizewise a contingent is anything you like from a single unit to the entire army, depending on what you are depicting. You could therefore have a single unit of open order Hird and the rest in close order, if you wanted.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Dirkhrod

Postby Dirkhrod » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:21 am

Thank you Martin.

kwheatonca

Postby kwheatonca » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:50 pm

In a related aspect, the viking allies in the later Saxon kingdoms need some clarification.

In the upgrades it says " javelins (+2) or 2 handed axe (+2) " which does not preclude the use of throwing spears (+2) with 2 Handed weapons. Looking at the viking army list makes more sense which says "throwing spears (+2) or 2 handed axes (+2)". What is the intention here?, I don't remember what was possible in WAB and whether it was unbalanced.

Also, is it possible to take commanders from the viking list, to lead a viking unit in a Saxon army (if not can an Ealdorman be used)?

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:44 pm

You can have either a Saxon commander lead the Vikings or pay for a Viking commander (but that then comes from the allies point allowance) and he still takes up one of the commander slots from the army list.

Until there is an errata go with the list as written. I am not sure of the benefit of paying for weapons that you are unlikely to use! If you really want to tool up your vikings for any job, but that is a lot of points and will most probably be better spent elsewhere.

Return to “Dark Age Armies”