Later Saxons

lero

Later Saxons

Postby lero » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:36 pm

"Thegn may form Combined units with Fyrd. They may form up to 66% of such units"

Does it means a combined unit is form with a maximum of 66% Thegn in the unit, or that a maximum of 66% of Fyrd Units could be in combined formation with Thegn (with free ratio inside) ?

Jcspqr

Re: Later Saxons

Postby Jcspqr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:21 pm

Thegn may be up to 66% of each combined unit.

Jim

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:16 pm

"All spear-armed Saxon troops in the army should be armed with the same type of spear"

Does this mean
a) ALL Saxon units in the whole force, Thegns & Fyrds, must all have either spears OR throwing spears
b) all models in one Unit must have the same spear, but one could have e.g. one unit of Thegns with spears and another with throwing spears

Do javelins count into this rule? Does this include cavalry?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:54 am

a) is correct. It does not apply to cavalry as there is only one type of cavalry spear. It does not apply to javelins.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
Is there a certain (historical) reason behind this rule?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:12 am

Just that while we are not quite sure exactly how the Saxons fought, we believe there is only one way. (Isn't there always!)
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:33 pm

Thank you very much. There seems to be a certain inherent logic to this.

Erekose

Postby Erekose » Wed May 25, 2022 7:47 am

Why don`t later saxon have a formed archers if it was the historical base of their levy?

Regards

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon May 30, 2022 9:43 am

Hi Erekose,

I have not come across the idea that the Saxon Fyrd used the bow in substantial amounts. Would be interested in your sources as I am doing some research in this area. I have read of some uses of the bow in hunting, but that is pretty much it. Happy to be corrected.

The list allows you access to Welsh allies who do have a lot of bow. I know some Saxon players who never leave home without them.

Thanks

Bob

Atheling

Postby Atheling » Tue May 31, 2022 3:45 am

Hi Erekose,

I have not come across the idea that the Saxon Fyrd used the bow in substantial amounts. Would be interested in your sources as I am doing some research in this area. I have read of some uses of the bow in hunting, but that is pretty much it. Happy to be corrected.
I concur with Bob. I have never seen any sources to support the idea of massed ranks of bowmen in Anglo Saxon/Anglo Danish England.

Of course, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, so I would love to hear what sources you are looking at too Erekose if at all possible please?

Return to “Dark Age Armies”