Late Imperial Romans ( Rule Book Pg 55)

DennisW

Late Imperial Romans ( Rule Book Pg 55)

Postby DennisW » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Hello, I'm reading the Illyricani cavalry portion and see that the only type that may be fielded as skirmishers are unarmoured sagitarii . Am I correct in that this means that javelin armed and armoured archers cannot skirmish and must form open order like " heavy" close combat cavalry?

Is the LIR list in the rule book exactly that same as the one in the dark age book?

A Lot of Gaul

Re: Late Imperial Romans ( Rule Book Pg 55)

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 pm

According to the rulebook list, Equites Illyricani have the Evade special rule, and thus may perform a skirmishing role, but only unarmored Equites Sagittarii may be based and fielded as 'true' skirmishers.

I don't own a copy of the Dark Age Armies book, but hopefully someone who does will be able to confirm whether the Late Imperial Roman list there is the same or different. In the Classical Armies book, Middle Imperial Roman light horse and horse archers both have the option of being fielded as skirmishers.
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

DennisW

Postby DennisW » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:39 pm

A Lot of Gaul , Thanks for your reply.

I checked "evade" on pg 43 and this refers to Formed troops. so i don't think Illyricanii can skirmish. A pity..

A few others have read the Illyricani entry and are also of the opinion that (the last sentence)... " These may have light armour (+1)........" refers to the Equites sagitarrii mentioned in the sentence immeditley before. Hence only unarmoured horse archers may skirmish.

Maybe Martin G can comment on this? The books I have indicate that Illyricanni/ sagitarii may use skirmish tactics, although more likely to do so effectively if un-encumbered by armour.

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:05 pm

The Evade special rule gives formed units the ability to respond to an opponent's charge by moving directly away from the charging unit and continuing to face it, just like skirmishers do. The main difference is that formed troops may only evade charges originating in their frontal zone. However, they also have the ability to charge or counter charge heavier opponents, which skirmishers cannot do. So the question is, do you believe that the historical role of Late Imperial Roman Illyricani and armored horse archers was to serve exclusively as skirmishers, or to be more flexible with the ability to evade, shoot, and/or engage in combat, depending on the situation?
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm

It is correct that only the horse archers, are intended to skirmish as such, the Illyricani being more disciplined cavalry but still able to evade enemy charges.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

DennisW

Postby DennisW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks to A Lot of Gaul and MartinG for their answers. This helps me decide what to rebase and how much more lead I need to buy!

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:49 pm

There is always more lead to buy......

Return to “Dark Age Armies”