EIR Centurions

billS

EIR Centurions

Postby billS » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:16 am

These chaps play a bit funny.

You need to have them to get Legates. However, it makes no sense to put them in the legionary units, as they convey no attack benefits and if a unit is lost you would lose an additional army break point. Consequently we will see them leading their brave boys from behind, or hanging around near skirmishers to try to rally them when they break.

It's just not how I envisage centurions behaving - or have I missed something.

A Lot of Gaul

Re: EIR Centurions

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:41 pm

In the EIR list from the Classical Armies book (p.46), there is an added sentence that reads, "Centurions may only lead Legionary units." From this, I infer that a centurion must accompany (i.e. be attached to) a legionary unit, and that the role of a centurion is to add to the cohesion value of the accompanying legionaries.

Most players that I know of field legionaries in units 5 bases strong. Therefore an accompanying centurion would fit very nicely in the centre of the unit's second row of bases.
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

billS

Postby billS » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:51 pm

I read that as that they can only convey cohesion benefits to legionary units, but as with other characters, they do not actually need to join them to do that.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:57 pm

No Bill commanders other than the general have to join a unit to convey the cohesion bonus. The command radius shows the area within which they provide a reason for fleeing troops to rally.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

billS

Postby billS » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:45 pm

Oops - missed that bit

I think it still means that 1 am likely to have bunch of centurions hanging around the back of the units if the general is within 12 inches (which is quite likely in a small expensive Roman army). The risk of loosing army break points outweighs their utility.

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:50 am

I noticed the new erratum for EIR Centurions on the Swordpoint web site. It currently reads:

"A Centurion is A+2, C+1 and costs 15 points. It is a Legate, rather than a Centurion, which can only command legionary units."

IMHO the original list of commanders is perfectly fine. During the Republican and Imperial periods, Roman centurions were integral to their own maniples/cohorts, while a legate commanded at least one entire legion. Legates also commanded auxiliary troops. For historical accuracy, I would only change the line about Centurions to something like:

"A Centurion may only command a legionary unit, to which he remains attached at all times."

Just my two sestertii's worth! :)

Cheers,
Scott
Last edited by A Lot of Gaul on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

k_p

Postby k_p » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:23 pm

If you wanted to use an Auxiliary only force you are rather stumped with Centurions only able to lead legionaries.
Auxiliaries had their own Centurions hence the change I would guess.
Also consider when a unit breaks the loss of a commander contributes to the army break.
Double whammy when the centurion is attached to a unit at all times.
Believe I know. Looking forward to using the list with these changes.

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 pm

Deinde fiat. :)
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

Return to “Classical Armies”