A Few Questions

Gerry Brawley

A Few Questions

Postby Gerry Brawley » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:04 am

HI Guys.......

Seeing as Tim politely told me to " Bugger Off " out of his thread here's one of my own.

I'm assuming tournaments will be based on one specific book. Are all the armies in the book balanced to play each other or will they be split into time periods.

I see a fair few comments about taking archers..... are shooting armies a little over the top ?

I have the Classical book ordered but am leaning towords Carthaginians. Could someone give me an idea of what a late Carthaginian ( Italy ) would look like.

Thinking a couple of units of each Vets and Italian Spear plus 1 Cav and a Numidian Cav unit plus skirmishers.

Bob Stradling

Re: A Few Questions

Postby Bob Stradling » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi Gerry,

Good to have you back. At the moments tournaments seem to be based around a book. I think some will restrict the use of army variants which are out of period. Some of the Dark Age lists bleed through to the Medieval period or could be used in earlier supplements.

At the moment there don't appear to be any uber armies. So at the tournament in March Steve who won with his Early Saxon's had relatively little shooting if any. (I didn't get to play it.) Wayne who came second with Japanese had a shed load of bow fire. Steve used his skirmishers skillfully to force Wayne to direct all his fire on to subsidiary units so that his main warbands could arrive relatively unscathed.

I used Anglo Danes with shieldwall, which was a slow press to squeeze the space and some of my opponents. They came third without any shooting to speak of. Very effective when they get into hand to hand, but getting there is the trick.

There is a real danger that if you rely on one troop type that if something goes wrong it goes very wrong! So my Anglo Danes got trounced by some Welsh open order warband types and when they got on my flank I did not have the maneuverability to recover the situation.

Hope that helps,

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbW6hz ... vNfyvMi21w has a walk through of how the game plays it will have to suffice until Martin gets his wizzy videos done.

Gerry Brawley

Re: A Few Questions

Postby Gerry Brawley » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks for the info Bob.

Anyone got an example Carthaginian list :-)

Return to “Classical Armies”