Early Carthaginian Allies

Bob Stradling

Early Carthaginian Allies

Postby Bob Stradling » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Just checking my understanding.

The early Carthaginian list allows up to 20% allies. These can be Numidian or Spanish.

If I go to the Numidian list because they have elephants (and I have a number of african elephant models that I want to play with!) it says that in the Numidian list I must take at least 25% cavalry and then I am allowed one elephant for each 250 points.

On the basis that it says in the blurb about allies that if the allies list has a 1+ unit then you have to take one of those before eveything else then I will have to ensure that 25% or more of the allied force is cavalry.

The question would then be can I take one elephant for each 250 points of the main army or of the allied force?

I would suggest this should be based on the main army rather than the allied force.

Otherwise on the basis of a standard 1000 point army you could never have an elephant in the allied force as that would give a maximum of 200 points of allies that would not be enough for a single ellie.

MartinG

Re: Early Carthaginian Allies

Postby MartinG » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:11 am

You can take an elephant for each 250 points of the army as a whole, but due to the 20% allies limit you will get a maximum of two since two elephants and a minimum size light cavalry unit cost 183 points.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 am

Thanks Martin, I think I can get three into a 1500 point army - thinking about Pompey!

Bitesyurr

Postby Bitesyurr » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:04 am

Hi,

Perhaps a silly question here, but Carthaginians are one of my favourite ancient armies. My understanding is that use of Elephants only reached the western Mediteranean when Pyrrhos was campaining against the Romans and Carthaginians. The early carthaginian list then ends, and the later list starts.

As the Numidian list only starts in 250BC, should't that mean that certain troops should not be available for a list that ends in 275BC (i.e ELephants, Guard Cavaly, Trained Infantry and Imitiation Legionaries).

Regards

B.
Lancastrians
Ceasarian Romans (well a pile of boxes ATM)
Vikings (next year).

Always ready to roll a 12 for Cohesion!

Return to “Classical Armies”