Stamlna rules

duxjack

Stamlna rules

Postby duxjack » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Does stamina applis To extrordinarii and italian Spearmen ?

A Lot of Gaul

Re: Stamlna rules

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:59 am

I don't have my Classical Armies book with me, but if Roman Extraordinarii or Allied Italian Spearmen have the Stamina rule, it will be specifically mentioned in the army list.
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

duxjack

Postby duxjack » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:57 am

they are listed in the latin unit and the rule affect all the formed infantry unit of the latin unit.

BJ Barry

Postby BJ Barry » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:58 pm

No they don't. Extraordinarii and Italian Spearmen did not fight the "Roman" way, the manipular system, so they did not get the advantage of the Stamina rules. The stamina rule is a "subterfuge" to try and apply to the rules the extremely diffult way of fighting of the roman army of the period. Triplex Acies and so on. As the army book point out, in the erlier period of the list the italian (or latin) allied of the roman keep their way of fighting and only later they adopt the legion formation in the roman way. Roman and latin allies that forms units of hastati, principes, triarii and rorarii have the benefit of the stamina rules, to try to replicate on the table the way of fighting of a Consular army of the later period of the list, formed by two legiions of romans and two legions of latin. For what I do understand, and that's how we play.

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Don't have the book with me, but Martin made comment about Roarii in an earlier post (use the search for context) which may (or may not) help you decide on your situation

"Yes the Rorarii do gain the benefit of the rule. Our knowledge of the changes to Roman armament is sketchy and the vague comments in the list commentary do more or less sum up all we know. You can set your own change date without fear of anyone being able to categorically tell you that you are wrong..."

BJ Barry

Postby BJ Barry » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:34 pm

Yes Bob, but the last part of Martin's answer was about my question of when the hastati start to use the pilum. If you look at the lists with an historical eye, open order units did not fight the manipular way. Anyway, Martin surely will explain better the idea of the stamina rule.

duxjack

Postby duxjack » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:05 am

I am not sure your rigth :
- first the extrordinarii was the best men of the allied legio.
- the rules don't clearly specifie that the manipular rule affect only close order infantry.
-

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:36 am

Hi Guys,

The rule is not meant to apply to the Extraordinarii or Italian Spearmen, because as mentioned above they did not fight in the Triplex Acies. Sorry if the wording is unclear, it does refer to needing 5 hits instead of 4 to remove a base, so doesn't apply to a strength 3 base.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “Classical Armies”