Wars of the Roses English

grompix

Wars of the Roses English

Postby grompix » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:28 pm

I have just bought the Swordpoint rules and medieval lists having been impressed with what I've seen of the rule-set online. Not had a chance to play a game yet though. I have quite a large 28mm WotR collection which I hope will work OK with the Swordpoint rules.
I notice in the Medieval army list for WotR (Page 42) it says Mounted men-at-arms carry shields - now either this is a typo or perhaps a rule device to make this cavalry arm more defensible as clearly they didn't , at this period, carry shields.
I'm guessing it's a typo as the Burgundian army on the next page lists knights (essentially the same troop type) as not having shields.
I notice that Retinue archers are also classed as shielded in the WotR list. I know they sometimes carried a small buckler which may have been of some meagre defence in a knife-fight but since English mercenary longbowmen in the Burgundian list don't have it I'm assuming another typo perhaps?
Not having played the rules yet, I wonder if anyone can clear this up for me.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Chris ;)

MartinG

Re: Wars of the Roses English

Postby MartinG » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:04 pm

The men-at-arms shield sis definitely a typo. I don't have access to the files at the moment but I think the retinue archers may be meant to have a buckler, in the rules this is the same as a shield for simplicity. I'll have a look when I'm back at work next week.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

grompix

Re: Wars of the Roses English

Postby grompix » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks for that Martin. I thought it might be a typo. Not convinced about the buckler being as good as a 'proper' shield though but I have yet to play the rules to see how it all pans out. I must admit I am quite impressed with the mechanics and concepts behind the design of this rule-system as a whole.
Chris ;)

Return to “Medieval Armies”