Muslim India

Captain J Good

Muslim India

Postby Captain J Good » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:12 am

Reading through the Lodi sub list I noticed a reference to Horse Archers, one unit can be used. However I see no horse archers in the list. Is this an error or a typo, since there is the possibility to have Hindu archers, and perhaps that is what is meant?

The Museum of India collection in Delhi has a fine collection of horse bows for the Lodhi period and contemporary miniatures and texts for the period certainly show them in use for hunting and war so I wondered if this was an oversight? To refight Panipat is an ambition long held.

Best
Graham
Was in Delhi, but now in Brussels.

MartinG

Re: Muslim India

Postby MartinG » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:00 pm

This should say "one unit each of Elite Cavalry and Hindu cavalry" rather than horse archers-not sure where that came from!
My understanding is that while individual warriors certainly carried horse bows (and we assume, used them for other than simply hunting game), there were no dedicated horse archer units and the amount of bow fire was insufficient to treat the cavalry as carrying bows in the rules. This would change with the advent of the turco-mongol troops who accompanied Babur.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “Medieval Armies”