pike block

Xarepunk

Re: pike block

Postby Xarepunk » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks, that's good to know

Jcspqr

Postby Jcspqr » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:51 pm

The 2 base frontage exception for pike blocks is nice to know, but will you ever be able to generate enough casualties to move the pile using only a 2 base frontage? I think the 3 x 3 base massed pike unit does a good job of representing the tendancy of pikes to be formed in very large units during this period. I struggle though with a cost effectiveness analysis on whether in a 1250 point game a unit or units of 9 bases of pikes will be effective enough to justify the expense. In a no-point friendly game, no problem, but otherwse I doubt I would field one of my pike armies from this period in a tournament.

Jim

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:13 pm

I have always found the Swiss very effective on the table. Partly because they are concentrated in so small an area of the table! I also use later French, in which I have one pike block as part of a combined arms force.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

tonystafford

Postby tonystafford » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:32 pm

They can not be that good. I got my greatest ever win against them. Mind you an elephant on both flanks always works.

lero

Postby lero » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:32 pm

In my Louis XI'army, one swiss block is very efficient combined with dismounted knights and archers.
The 8" move means you have charge momemtum again close order if you wish, the loss of D malus and strike first as a pike are very useful !
A three base skirmish in front of them to get more times to move, without ABP malus when lost, works also well !

Return to “Medieval Armies”