Swiss questions

Xarepunk

Swiss questions

Postby Xarepunk » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:35 pm

Hello,

I have some questions concerning the Swiss Army list:
1. Is it correct, that the only unit gaining any advantage by the "Vorhut" rule are Halberdiers in Open Order?

2. Are Open Order Halberdier Units of 4 bases effective or are 6 bases necessary?

3. Pike block 1: as I understand the "Massed Pike" rule ("a minimum of 6 bases that is at least as many bases deep as wide"),
there are only two valid formations for the pike block (3x3 and 3x4 bases). Or is there are switching typo and it should read "as many bases wide as deep"?

4. Pike block 2: Is it possible to form some kind of combined formation in the pike block, consisting e.g. of 3 bases with Heavy Armour and 6 bases with Light Armour? This would emulate the historical use of heavily armoured front rankers by the Swiss.

MartinG

Re: Swiss questions

Postby MartinG » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:23 pm

1. Yes
2. As with everything, it depends how you use them. If you can shelter them from shooting and bring them in on a flank, 4 bases is very neat.
3. The wording is correct. You can have your block 2 wide if you are not worried about the close order bonus.
4. While this is not mentioned in the list, I would have no problem with you fielding the troops in this way.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Thank you for answering my questions so fast.

I want to use two Halberdiers units in the Vorhut role with Ambush and will try out 4 and 6 bases to see, which works better.

So, a possible Errata (you are free to use this idea) entry for the Pikemen could be:
"You can form a Combined Unit with 3 bases of Front Rankers with heavy armour (+4 p/base)"

feodalfig

Postby feodalfig » Tue May 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Hello,

Another question about Swiss list:

If i want upgrade a close order unit with the upgrade Nachhut:
1/ Before, I must nominate two other unit with upgrades Gewalthut and Vorhut.
2/ I can play an army with a Nachhut but without Gewalthut and Vorhut ?

Thanks !

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed May 23, 2018 3:04 pm

You can select any or all of the upgrades, so yes you can have the Nachhut without the others being in the army.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

feodalfig

Postby feodalfig » Wed May 23, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks !

Return to “Medieval Armies”