Later Italian City States

Xarepunk

Later Italian City States

Postby Xarepunk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:17 pm

I have been tinkering with the Later Italian City States Army List and some questions arose:

1. Where is the inclusion of the famous Carrocios? Maybe they could give a cohesion bonus and/or provide a defensive platform for missile troops?

2. Perry produce nice Italian Heavy Infantry with Halberds and large shields. These could serve as Provisionati with halberds and heavy armour, but what about the shields? Of course, they would not be able to use them in melee, but strapped on the back these could serve as missile protection similar to paveses. How could this be represented points-wise in the Army List?

3. Perry (again) makes Italian Mercenary Archers (intended for Balkan Archers in Venetian service). There is no representation of these in the list. The Neapolitan Longbow Militia won't fit, as the models clearly do not have longbows and (as mentioned) are intended for Venice. An additional upgrade for the Light Infantry, resembling Albanian Archers, might suffice here, e.g. have bow and become Inferior Fighters (+1 point). May have Light Armour (+2).

4. Medieval Albania can have Venetian allies, but Venice not Albanian allies? Yes, the Stradioti and Balkan Cavalry are already included and the proposed Archer option might solve this. But just out of curiosity, WHY?

MartinG

Re: Later Italian City States

Postby MartinG » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:27 am

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions, I will have a look at them as soon as I get a chance. The army list is done as it is to bring the Albanian troops within the constraints of the list composition rules rather than the more free-form allies choices.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Xarepunk

Re: Later Italian City States

Postby Xarepunk » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks, I would really appreciate you considering my suggestions.

The remark with the Allies is not that much of a concern, I was just wondering about it while reading.

The Heavy Infantry with shields and especially the foot bowmen are of more importance to me, as I own these nice models from Perry and (of course) want to use them. You got the models and the historical reference, so why not make rules for them?
The same goes for Carrocios, as they are very iconic and just awesome to look at.

Return to “Medieval Armies”