Generals may ride chariot?

Keith T

Generals may ride chariot?

Postby Keith T » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Ok in most of the armies your general "may ride in a chariot" is it free or do you pay for it?

If its free does it count as a normal chariot + general or just the +2/+3 for the generals attacks?

In other lists general "may ride a horse" which I am sure was free, but a chariot is a wee bit different.

Martin or Wayne your thoughts please.
Ps just played our first game, new kingdom Egyptian v Minoan. Resounding Minoan victory.
Their troops were cheaper and the Egyptian shooting was not very effective.

Keith

A Lot of Gaul

Re: Generals may ride chariot?

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi Keith,

Just in case you are interested in hearing from anyone besides Martin and Wayne...

In the Classical Armies book, the total cost of the commander figure is as given in the Commanders section of the relevant army list. There are no additional points if he/she is allowed to ride on a horse, a chariot, or an elephant. I assume that is also the case for the Chariot Armies book, unless the entry specifically says that the commander "may ride in a chariot for xx number of additional points."

Cheers,
Scott
Last edited by A Lot of Gaul on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

Keith T

Postby Keith T » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:23 am

Hi Scott
I see your point but with a chariot does it get to shoot and fight or is it just a free ride? The more I think about this it should be a free ride with no extra attacks unless you pay for the chariot.

cheers
Keith

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi Keith,

My reading of the rulebook is that, unless stated otherwise in the army list, the chariot is free and the model uses the commander's Attack and Cohesion values. The rules for commanders riding in chariots are on p. 35 of the main rulebook.

Cheers,
Scott
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:31 pm

You can put a chariot-capable general in a chariot unit as you could one on a horse in a cavalry unit. If you model him on his own chariot then he acts just like a general on a horse, the chariot is free and does not bring anything to the party other than mobility.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Keith T

Postby Keith T » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks Martin and Scott, we did play it that way but were unsure if we were right.

Do like the period rules in the front of the army list, nice touch indeed. But found it quite hard to do enough hits on the infantry so the chariots could charge.

Thanks again
Keith

nick_simmerson

Postby nick_simmerson » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:32 pm

You can put a chariot-capable general in a chariot unit as you could one on a horse in a cavalry unit. If you model him on his own chariot then he acts just like a general on a horse, the chariot is free and does not bring anything to the party other than mobility.
I take that to mean I don't have to attach the General to a chariot unit as per p35 in the main rulebook? (Genarals are still Commanders, yes?) ...and how would a separately mounted General in Chariot affect base size? (can't imagine many chariots fitting on a 60mm round base)

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:50 am

A commander on a chariot should be on a chariot base. All measurements are done from the commander's head so the base size is not an issue. If you choose to attach such a commander to a 5-model chariot unit, remember you still have a 5-model chariot unit, you do not gain an extra fighting chariot-same as you do not gain a fighting base if a commander joins an infantry or cavalry unit, the model is just a cipher that increases Cohesion and adds combat dice.

billS

Postby billS » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Is this stipulation that a commander on a chariot should be on a chariot base something that is written in the Chariot Wars book?

the rulebook wording is:

"If the option is taken the Commander should be placed touching a chariot unit and left there throughout the battle. Alternatively the Commander can be modelled on one of the chariots in a chariot unit"

I just use a foot commander touching the chariot unit in my British tribes army.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:23 am

Yes that is fine, I was only talking of the situation where the player had already decided to model the commander on his own chariot. In my Gallic army, the commanders other than the general are integrated into the units, so I have them standing on chariots that are already paid for.

Return to “Chariot Era”