Chariot follow-on charge on revealed enemy

dave.p

Chariot follow-on charge on revealed enemy

Postby dave.p » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:36 pm

A unit of chariots (with the shock-cavalry rule) charges at a line of skirmishers.
The skirmishers successfully evade but reveal a formed infantry unit which is in the charge-path and range of the charging chariots.
The infantry would not usually have time to react to a follow-on charge. So, do they take a cohesion test in this instance as the result of a follow-on charge?

Dave.p

Bob Stradling

Re: Chariot follow-on charge on revealed enemy

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:27 am

If they were being charged by an elephant, I believe they would have to, (least that is what Martin said yesterday) so using the same logic yes.

DennisW

Postby DennisW » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:21 pm

Dave, Bob, I played you both yesterday where some guidance was given, so may have something to add....

In Bob's game I placed skirmishers between Bob's Elephant and his intended legionary victims believing that once a cause for terror had been tested-for then no further tests by other units are needed ( read pg 45 Terror rule, paragraph after third bullet). We were then advised that ALL units charged by elephants need a cohesion test.

Dave, I think this your situation the chariots are trying to melee with you so would be classed as charging. The target would then test and hold if successful.

dave.p

Postby dave.p » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:31 pm

I don't mind which way the decision goes but I'd like a definitive answer before our first chariot game on Wednesday night. The elephant might not be a good example because its approach can be seen over the heads of the evading skirmishers.
Perhaps a closer comparison would be if the evading skirmishers revealed the flank of the infantry block to a follow-on charge. I think I'm correct in saying that the infantry would receive the flank-charge without taking the "charged in the flank" test?

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:28 pm

That is what happened in my game with Dennis, the ellie hit the flank of a revealed unit. The unit took only one test, but it was because it was both an ellie and a flank, either would have caused the test.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:10 am

See page 19 point 4.7 Attacking revealed units third paragraph. An attack on a revealed unit is not a declared charge. So if the unit is hit by chariots (in the relevant period) or in the flank it does not take a cohesion test. The elephant case is different because the elephant is always visible (as are all its potential targets to it) and so a terror test will be taken. The elephant rule should read "this test is only taken once per battle for each cause by each unit" The attack on a revealed unit is still a charge for the purposes of weapon use/special rules, before you ask.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “Chariot Era”