Warfare 2017

Wayne Richards

Re: Warfare 2017

Postby Wayne Richards » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:50 pm

Ka2lu - lists need to be sent to Martin. I think you sent it to me by mistake. Cheers W.

ka2lu

Postby ka2lu » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:36 pm

done

Robin

Postby Robin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:32 pm

So how many have we got coming ? Looking forward to his one. Hope ingredients to pick up some of the new GBP cavalry as well.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:34 am

See previous page for accurate list. After 3 drop outs we are hoping for 16.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

andy
Site Admin

Postby andy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Just got back from warfair - four great games, 2 wins, 1 marginal win (essentially a draw as only 20 os so points in it) and a minor loss 400 vs my 100pts. So overall a succesful campaign for my army.

Usual thanks to my opponents, Martin for umpiring, and GB, KR and Warfair organisers for the prizes.

Regards
Andy

Mikeharding

Postby Mikeharding » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:17 am

Warfare was great, spent loads of money at the lunch breaks, but it is Xmas. It was good to meet some new players, hopefully we can keep adding to the number of players. Thank you to all those I played against, and now I need to practice with the Medieval armies ready for Swindon in February. I have found that the different era army books make for different game play and keep the games more of a challenge, rather than always playing with just one army.

Wayne Richards

Postby Wayne Richards » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:54 am

Yep, big thanks to Martin for umpiring and for Gripping Beast, KR & Reading for prize support.

I'm hoping that we will be able to run the event again in 2018. One idea is to run it as a doubles event across 2 periods (ie Classical/Dark Age or Dark Age/Medieval etc). Each pairing would bring 1 army for each period. There would be 4 games with each player using each army twice.

More later. Cheers W.

Robin

Postby Robin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi Guys
Nice to meet you all and see some new faces. Thanks to Martin for best painted really appreciated. Friendly well run event.
Mixed emotions for me gaming wise. I was a speed bump to 2 Cavalry armies on Saturday and then I thrashed 2 infantry armies on Sunday.

Rules wise I have to say I find the movement of Irregulars a little difficult to come to grips with. Maybe its the players lack of understanding & almost certainly mine. But irregular Cavalry and Warband appeared to be literally skating about. In some cases im not sure even well drilled regular troops would have been able to get into some of the positions I was seeing. Not just in my games but others I watched.

The venue which was not GB fault was a bit crap. Being shoehorned into that corridor was unpleasant and cold. Its a shame that Swordpoint was not in the main hall where I'm sure the site of all those 28mm figures would have caused a bit of interest with the public.

Whilst I appreciate the prize for best painted and think its great that you give box sets as prizes. Why not instead give GB vouchers. That way the winners would probably end up spending even more money on top of the vouchers. You could give contestants a discount on any purchase they make from GB that weekend again you get to make more money.

One last thing. I enjoy Swordpoint. But I do get the impression its still the poor relation to SAGA. Have you thought about offering a pdf rule set perhaps to the SAGA players. If they like it they may then buy extra figures, want to buy the proper rule book together with the army lists. You already have a captive audience there playing ancients Skirmish, some may consider wanting to play your Ancients big battle rules.

Once again thanks it was fun.

dave.p

Postby dave.p » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks for the ground-work from Wayne and to Martin for running the event.
Shame about the venue.
I like the idea of prize vouchers.
Is there a list of the final placings? How much mid-table obscurity did I earn?
Hopefully see you all next year.

petel

Postby petel » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Thank you Wayne and Martin great fun and as others have said, shame about the fridge, I didn't get a prize but I did get hypothermia :) !

Great opponents, thank you all, games were played in a friendly, sporting and fun atmosphere.

Prize vouchers sound a good option, not that i'll get any; but 3 wins out of 4 wasn't bad, considering I can't even remember the last competition I played in !

Pete

Return to “Past Events”