One Day Evesham Event

MartinG

One Day Evesham Event

Postby MartinG » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:59 am

There will be a one-day fun event on Sunday 14th May, at Bishampton Village Hall, Bishampton nr. Evesham, Worcs. WR10 2LY. Two games of hidden deployment using 1000 point armies from Dark Age Armies. Tickets are £5 including free refreshments (but bring your own lunch) and will shortly be available from the gripping beast website. Come and polish your tactics or improve your knowledge of the rules.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Wayland the Smith

Re: One Day Evesham Event

Postby Wayland the Smith » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi Martin

I was the bloke asking lots of questions, but not playing, during your afternoon demo of Swordpoint at Salute on Saturday. I've now bought the rules and signed up for the Evesham event on 14 May. As I mentioned on Saturday, I don't have access to a Dark Age army and I realise that this is a Dark Age event. You suggested that there might be loan armies available, which I would be happy to take you up on. Alternatively, I could bring any of the following Classical armies if an opponent can be found:

Greek
Successor
Republican Roman
Marian Roman
Carthaginian
Gallic

I haven't got the army lists yet, but all of these would have been about 2,000 pts in WAB 1.5, which I hope would equate to 1,000 in Swordpoint.

I really would be happy do either of these options - perhaps you could let me know which you think would work best on the day. I will try my best to get a practise game in before the 14 May, but so far I've only managed to persuade one of my small group of four wargaming friends to try Swordpoint. So the morning game on the 14 May might be my first Swordpoint game!

Cheers

Paul

Wayne Richards

Postby Wayne Richards » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi Paul - I'm happy to lend you an army for the event. I could probably do Normans, Sassanids, Japanese etc. Alternatively I can bring a classical army - something Greek, if you wanted to do classical. Cheers Wayne.

Wayland the Smith

Postby Wayland the Smith » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi Wayne

Thanks, that's generous of you. I'm in two minds - realistically this could become my Classical Ancients ruleset, as none of my friends have 'big battle' Dark Age armies*, so I would quite like to bring a Classical army for the practise. However I'd really like to get in two games against different opponents fielding different armies, and if it's only you with another Classical army on the day, that might not be possible. If that turns out to be the case, I would very gratefully borrow your Norman army which should mean I would face a greater variety of opponents. So can I wait and see whether anyone else indicates that they might be bringing a Classical army and make the decision nearer the time?

Cheers

Paul

* Don't tell Andy or Darren!, although we do play SAGA.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:28 pm

I will make sure there is a second classical army there, so you can get two games in. It may be me driving one of them though!

Wayland the Smith

Postby Wayland the Smith » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:50 am

That''s great - thanks very much Wayne and Martin. I have already worked out a 1,000 pt Republican Roman army and hope to get a game in with it the week before the event, so I'll most likely bring that. Hopefully that will be ok against Wayne's Greeks and whatever you bring Martin. Very much looking forward to the 14th.

Cheers

Paul

Wayland the Smith

Postby Wayland the Smith » Mon May 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Just wondered what the start time for this event is, so I can plan my journey.

Cheers

Paul

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue May 09, 2017 11:25 am

Hope to start playing at 9.30

Wayland the Smith

Postby Wayland the Smith » Tue May 09, 2017 11:37 am

OK thanks Martin - I'll try to get there for around 9:00 for set up.

Paul

dave.p

Postby dave.p » Sun May 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks Martin for running the event.
Thanks to my opponents Max and Andy. We all learned a few things.
Thanks for the three Pillage payments.

Return to “Past Events”