Light Armor Vs Defense Stat

A general discussion forum
FlawlessCorn42

Light Armor Vs Defense Stat

Postby FlawlessCorn42 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:27 am

Hello, I see that the Later Carthaginian list allows for the Gallic cavalry to have the option of taking light armour for +1. My question is, since the Gaul's base defense is 5 and light armour only gives a defense value of six, how would taking the armour help the Gallic cavalry? To put it another way, what difference does armour make if the unit's defense stat is already lower than the defense value of the armour (I.e. What is the use of light armour)? I feel like I'm missing something. Thanks!

William

MartinG

Re: Light Armor Vs Defense Stat

Postby MartinG » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:48 am

Think of no protection as being D7. Being mounted and having a shield brings this down to D5 as per the list, then armour brings it down to D4. So the armour is always worth taking as it improves the save potential from 33% to 50%.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

FlawlessCorn42

Postby FlawlessCorn42 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:56 pm

Thanks Martin. So to make sure I'm reading this right, the defense stat takes into account the unit's base equipment (such as a shield) and then adding light armour adds a -1 modifier to the defense roll, heavy armour/partial plate a -2, and plate a -3?

Wayne Richards

Postby Wayne Richards » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Hi William, yes the D value in the unit entry reflects the equipment in the units description. The units D value can be modified by any of the options listed against the unit. i.e. may take light armour or heavy armour (together with the appropriate points costs). The units D value would then change to match what you had equipped the unit with. In Swordpoint the lower the D value the better the units defence.

Cheers W.

FlawlessCorn42

Postby FlawlessCorn42 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Thanks Wayne, really appreciate it. I'm really enjoying the rules set too!

Return to “General Discussion”