Flank Charges

A general discussion forum
KazadHarri

Flank Charges

Postby KazadHarri » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:46 am

Not trying to be a rules lawyer here, but I have been playing way too much WMH over the last few years, or heaven forbid the old days of 6th ed. But on the Facebook page there has been a question and a response, that I would like to confirm. I am sure that the response is correct, but I would like to find the place in the rules where this is stated and defined. Coming from a WH, WAB, CoE perspective, I think I know what the rules are trying to get at, but the diagram being messed up is not helping.

The rule as written.
On page 18. Rule 4.1 Which Facing to Charge
A charging unit’s position at the start of the movement phase determines if it charges into the flank, rear or the front of the enemy target.
If the charging unit is in the target’s frontal zone when the charge is declared it charges into the front. As units generally begin the game facing each other this is the most common situation. If any part of the charging unit is in the flank zone, or on the dividing line, with no part in the frontal zone than it charges into the side; if it is in the rear zone it charges into the rear as shown in the examples below.

The question/issue:
The part of the diagram which is not defined in the above rule are the dotted lines of the diagram. The Frontal Zone is never purposely defined other than the on the diagram on page 18. With is marked in the two lower corners. Even on page 8, Facing; in defining front, rear, and flanks it refers to page 18.

The clause of… “with no part in the frontal zone than it charges into the side;” makes no sense. As by definition the whole unit would need behind flank using the diagram. I think the paragraph needs to be changed to the following verbiage.

Proposed changes. Color is my recommendation.
If the charging unit is in the target’s frontal zone when the charge is declared it charges into the front. As units generally begin the game facing each other this is the most common situation. If any part of the charging unit is in the target’s flank zone, or on the dividing line, with no part directly in front or behind the target unit as defined by the dotted lines, then it charges into the side. If it is in the rear zone it charges into the rear as shown in the examples below.

I think this would convey the intent of the diagram. Also it would be helpful if the Frontal, rear, and Flank zones where verbally described.

Think the rules are a great, and can't weight for the other army books.
/Jeff

MartinG

Re: Flank Charges

Postby MartinG » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:48 am

Yes your wording does describe the intention of the rules.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Andyjp

Postby Andyjp » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:56 am

Would it help if I did another diagram (like WABGT one) with these clarifications taken into account?
Cheers
Andy

"Religious wars are basically people killing each other over who has the better imaginary friend" -Napoleon Bonaparte

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:22 am

If only the graphic artist could have got it right....I'm quite happy for you to do one if you want to!
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

scuy

Postby scuy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Yes the diagram I found was messy also. Please do make a clear diagram to follow the text.

Return to “General Discussion”