Allies

A general discussion forum
Gerry Brawley

Allies

Postby Gerry Brawley » Sun May 07, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi Guys

Soory for all the questions.

I cannot seem to see any soecial rules for Allies ( like the old WAB allies and mercenary rules )

1. Say if you can take 25% allies do you take them as per the percentages for thier list ?

2. If my army list says 25% Cavalry can I add extra Cavalry from the allies list or does that include allies ?

3. Do Commanders have to come from the main list or can you buy Commander from the ALlies and can they give bonus to original and allies alike ?

Wayne Richards

Re: Allies

Postby Wayne Richards » Sun May 07, 2017 4:45 pm

Hi Gerry - there is no special Allies/Mercenaries rule per se.
There are a couple of paragraphs on Allies at the start of the supplements ie. P4 of the Dark Age Supplement and in the main rulebook P48..
Unless minimums apply in the allied list, or restrictions stated in the parent list (ie may only take xxx troops) you are free to choose what you take from the allied list. Your Allies act as a normal part of the army and your army must conform to the min/max proportions in each category. Cheers W.

Gerry Brawley

Postby Gerry Brawley » Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks Wayne..... sent you a pm :-)

lero

Postby lero » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:21 am

Hello,
There is a restriction about sarmatian nobles with the number of horse archers. But if this applied, it becomes very difficult with a 20% budget of allies to have sarmatians nobles for late early imperial romans (200 pts to spend for two units with more horse archers bases than noble's if we follow restrictions). Is this on purposes ? Romans seemed to recruit as allies heavy cavalry that they lacked, not especially horse archers.
Anyway, big fun with this set od rules and we discovered more complexity in tactics than expected !
Lero

dave.p

Postby dave.p » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:15 am

Hi Lero.
For your Sarmatian allies you can use massed nobles with light-cavalry forming the rear rank. 3 or 4 nobles and as many light cavalry is perfectly legal.

lero

Postby lero » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 pm

Yes, thank you Dave, this is true.
Classical indians could be Eumenes' allies. Does the restriction to take at least one chariotery, one cavalry, one elephant and one infantry remains in effect ? I guess the answer is yes but ask to verify.
Lero

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi Lero,

That restriction applies to the composition of an Indian army-It can't apply to the Eumenid list as 25|% isn't enough points to include an Indian unit of each type.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:59 pm

According to both page 48 of the main rulebook and page 3 of the Classical Armies book, "Allies act in every way as a normal part of the army." Therefore, my understanding is that the troop category percentages and restrictions given for the main army apply, and override those given for the allied army from which the troops are taken.
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

lero

Postby lero » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:38 am

Thank you all ! This is now clear to me.
Lero

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:35 am

These are the notes regarding allies on the GB Swordpoint page:
Allies act in every way as a normal part of the army.
When fielding Allies, only the troops native to the Allied list can be used - not the allies of the allies!
You may take Allied Commanders (other than an Army General) but may not exceed the total
number of Commanders available to the host list.
Where a minimum is shown for a unit type in the Allied list i.e. "+2 Horse Archers", then these units must be taken as Allies before any other unit.
Any restriction, limitations or options in the Allied list i.e. 0-1 Guards, the unit must not be more than four bases strong, every second unit may be fielded as skirmishers etc, apply.
All troops imported from the Allied army count only against the Allies percentage and are not affected by the host army’s proportions. For example, the Viking list has no Cavalry component but it can take Irish or Saxon cavalry from its allies.
However, you may not take more of a troop type from the allied list than it allows to its own forces. For example, a list allowed 50% allies cannot take 50% allied cavalry if the allied list only allows 25% cavalry.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “General Discussion”