Depiction of commanders

A general discussion forum
Sapper

Depiction of commanders

Postby Sapper » Mon May 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi everyone

I am currently collecting an Early Imperial Roman army, and would like some advice on basing up my commanders.

EIR may have centurions (minor commanders) lead each legionary unit. I haven't got the rulebook with me, but I think it is on p.34 where it says that units with leaders permanently attached may depict a commander figure in the middle of the front row... or words to that effect.

Now, does that mean that with a legionary unit of 5 elements each on square bases of 40 x 40mm, I should depict the centurion on a 40mm diameter round base and place this front and centre of my unit, or have a 6th 40 x 40 square base as that of the centurion...or something else entirely ?

I am minded to go with the 5 square bases and the 6th (the centurion) on the round base, but am happy to be told different.

The same question goes for the single unit of legionary equites alares that EIR can field with a centurion to command it; centurion on 50x50 mm round base ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Martyn

LeadMountain

Re: Depiction of commanders

Postby LeadMountain » Mon May 22, 2017 5:02 pm

If the Centurion is permanently part of a Unit then a Centurion figure should to be included in one of the purchased Legionary bases (in place of standard figure). He is not an extra base for the Unit.

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Thu May 25, 2017 2:44 pm

OK, got it. Thanks

Wayne Richards

Postby Wayne Richards » Fri May 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi Martin - I disagree. Your commanders should always be on their own bases. The rationale is that they can be removed (killed) as a result of shooting or melee - see death of commanders.
If they are modelled on as part of a legion base then you would be removing a base unecessarily when only the command base would need to be removed.
My other argument for keeping them on their own base is that you may want to detach them from a unit either to join another unit or to move to rally fleeing troops.
For my Romans I have 5 bases to a legion and an additional base for the commander- making 6 bases which fit on a 120x80 movement tray.
At the end of the day it's up to you which route you take. Hope this helps - cheers W.

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Tue May 30, 2017 11:02 am

Wayne

Thanks for that. I had intended to go with 5 x 40x40mm square bases for my legions with a sixth 40x40mm round base for my centurion. I think what is causing the confusion is that on p.34 of the rules there is an enigmatic reference to modelling the commander as part of the base if he is to stay with the unit.

What I take from this, though, is that if I turn up at the competition at Warfare in November with either option I shan't be black-balled.

I inferred from the EIR list that the intention was for centurions to stay with their units whilst the C-in-C and legates provided the more mobile leadership. Having said this, I've not seen anything to say that a centurion HAS to stay with his unit, so I would probably be best advised to go with the separate 40x40mm round base option.

Martyn

Wayne Richards

Postby Wayne Richards » Tue May 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Yep both would be fine. W.

Return to “General Discussion”