New to Sword point need basing help

A general discussion forum
dyvimslorm

New to Sword point need basing help

Postby dyvimslorm » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:38 pm

Hello all

I've been a avid saga player, I just bought the sword point rules, and need basing help since all my figs are based to saga.
If I get movement bases to fit, how off will the rules be thrown.

A Lot of Gaul

Re: New to Sword point need basing help

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:13 am

If your Saga figures are currently on 25mm round bases, I would definitely go with sabots for Swordpoint. For example, 4 close order infantry or 2 cavalry figures on a 5cm x 5cm sabot would work just fine.
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

dyvimslorm

Postby dyvimslorm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:49 am

okay thanks

Paul7926

Postby Paul7926 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:03 am

Sorry for the thread hijack (it's my first post too so even worse) but the OP's question is exactly why I'm here too.

My SAGA vikings simply do not fit onto a 40mm square base because of the generous round bases they are already on. Whilst the suggestion of going 50mm square might make them able to fit (or at least have 2 existing SAGA models sitting on a base with 2 new models positioned to allow them to fit because they are Vikings and don't need to be perfectly placed in parade ground formations) does not having a larger base than the rules require cause problems when performing combat?

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:23 pm

As long as all of your models are based consistently, although they may not be ‘tournament legal,’ they will work perfectly well with the Swordpoint rules. Ideally, the bases/sabots for your Skirmishers should have twice the frontage of your formed units, and the bases for single-based models should be scaled proportionately. For example...

Formed Infantry: 6cm x 6cm (should easily fit 4 bases of 25mm round-based Saga models)
Foot Skirmishers: 12cm x 6cm
Formed Cavalry & Camelry: 6cm x 6cm (7.5 cm x 7.5cm if you want to keep the proportions from the rules)
Mounted Skirmishers: 12cm x 6cm (15cm x 7.5 cm if you want to keep the proportions from the rules)
Light Chariots: 6cm x depth to suit model
Heavy Chariots: 8cm x depth to suit model
Elephants & Scythed Chariots: 8cm x depth to suit model
Wagons: 12cm x 8cm
Commanders: as per the rulebook

That’s just one possibility. There are many creative solutions possible, if you want to play Swordpoint with your Saga-based figures.
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

Paul7926

Postby Paul7926 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I suspect my regular opponents will not care one little bit that my bases are a bit larger than required. They are all nice guys like that. I was just trying to get dual use out of figures I already have. A few of them are actually painted!

I do hope to get to some actual tournaments at some point where I suspect that will not be allowed so I'll just have to build that Wars of the Roses army I always wanted. :lol:

arkadius

Postby arkadius » Sat May 05, 2018 11:36 am

I try to resolve the same problem for me. As I suppose the width of base is more important than the deep. Then the proper solussions is to use 4x4,5 for infantry (which allow to place 2 bases from SAGA), or 8x4,5 to fit more models (5 bases from SAGA). If I used bases like this, do You think I could be 'tournament legal'?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue May 08, 2018 7:55 am

I don't think many people would object to your solution, it's main effect is to give you a disadvantage when attacked in flank and you can always work out the correct numbers of bases to be in contact.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “General Discussion”