Competition Terrain

A general discussion forum
k_p

Competition Terrain

Postby k_p » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 pm

Guys having taken part in two competitions as a Roman general there are a couple of issues I am finding with the minimalist terrain used on the table.

The lack of terrain is not bringing out the strategic element of the game and those of us with small armies spend the game protecting our flanks and not been able to anchour on any terrain feature.

Skirmishers get blown away at the first opportunity my opposing missile troops as there is no where to hide. The lack of terrain is allowing bows and fast moving troops dominating the game.

An army of quality troops is always out matched by numbers in my opinion supported by archers. There must be a way that quality can even up a pitch battle and use terrain to there advantage.

Just some thoughts from my experience so far.

MartinG

Re: Competition Terrain

Postby MartinG » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:02 pm

A fair point. I will suggest to organisers that they attempt to vary the amount of terrain on tables so that there is one very open, one with the maximum 8 pieces of terrain and the others varying between. That will give the hoped-for variety and offer some food for thought when concocting battle plans I would think.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

REX

Postby REX » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:21 pm

how about the defender chooses the terrain.

k_p

Postby k_p » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:40 pm

or bring your own from a specified list

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:47 pm

The problems relate to either allowing players to bring their own terrain, which sometimes results in poor quality, or the organisers needing to have a very large amount of terrain available, which can be impracticable. I would prefer to allow players to bring their own and use the terrain placement rules, if there was a way of guaranteeing quality-perhaps a best terrain piece prize?
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “General Discussion”