Ratio

A general discussion forum
Xarepunk

Ratio

Postby Xarepunk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:43 am

Just a general question:

What is the supposed figure/base to men ratio in Swordpoint?

E.g. I have a unit of 9 bases of close order infantry (Swiss Pikes), how many men do they represent?

MartinG

Re: Ratio

Postby MartinG » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:53 pm

There is no set scale, but I tend to think of a 6 base unit of close order infantry as being around 500 men. So your Swiss unit would be around 900 strong. Again I emphasise that this is not mandated by the rules.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks, this will certainly help drawing up historical scenarios like Grandson or Morat.

Btw, are there any plans of releasing specific scenario books for Swordpoint in the future or is this just too big a prospect, considering how many centuries the ruleset covers?

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 pm

From the Swordpoint page on the Gripping Beast web site:

"After this initial schedule, we will be concentrating on producing campaign supplements which go into more detail about the refighting of great campaigns and wars of history (think, for example, of the Punic wars or the Successor wars, or the campaigns of Charlemagne). We are looking for enthusiasts who are interested in collaborating with us in the development of these further works."

And on the "Publication Schedule" thread in this discussion forum, Martin said:

"These books will include extra army lists, extended and tailored army lists, and either a series of scenarios or a campaign. All Swordpoint lists are and always will be compatible with each other. As an example, the Charlemagne book will include 8 scenarios, new lists for Old Saxons and Gascons/Basques (The Vascones) plus extended or tailored lists for Franks, Slavs, Avars, Lombards and Byzantines. There may be more once we can set the print length- we will be working to keep the price as low as we can without sacrificing quality."
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:45 pm

That is very good news, indeed!
I am hoping for a Charles the Bold supplement with Burgundians and Swiss including Hericourt, Grandson and Nancy as well as the siege of Neuss.
The Italian Wars and lists for the German Peseant's Revolt of 1525 would be nice, too. I could offer some help in development.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:43 pm

Authors are always welcome, though our existing schedule already has a publication every 6 months until the end of 2022.

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Nice to hear, that Swordpoint is planning forward to be around and supported for such a long time.
I know that Ancients will receive attention first, because there is a huge community, and Dark Ages are trending, due to SAGA, but please do not forget about those crusaders and Landsknechts out there.
Will any of these future publications cover the mentioned Late Medieval period?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:02 pm

A Wars of the Roses book is in the works.

Return to “General Discussion”