Painting help

A general discussion forum
Kester

Painting help

Postby Kester » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi all,

I've just got my first lot of models and I'm working my way through getting rid of the flash on them all. I'm wondering how others hold models for painting though. I've come from painting individually based models and used to being able to either hold the base of the model in my fingers or blue tack it to something larger for comfort whilst painting. What do you do with multi based minis? I tried blue tacking one to my usual holder (an old spice jar) and it kept wanting to fall off. Something to do with only sticking to the small surface area of the in-built base of the metal miniatures I've got.
I'm also not used to spears, I've found that my pin vice is a bit too large for the spear i'm using so if someone could recommend a suitably tiny drill bit size for wire spears that would be super handy.

All advice will be extremely useful!

Cheers

MartinG

Re: Painting help

Postby MartinG » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:05 am

You need 1mm or 1.5mm bits for your pin vice. I tack down metal models onto plastic strip bases with UHU or similar, they hold very well for painting but come straight off when you slide a blade under the model.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:50 pm

To hold my 18mm miniatures whilst painting, I use grey tack to attach the figures to plastic bottle caps for infantry and larger plastic caps for cavalry. The trick is to use enough grey tack and 'sink' the figure base into it, like this:

Cheers,
Scott
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

Kester

Postby Kester » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Thanks both- I'll give them a go

Wayne Richards

Postby Wayne Richards » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 pm

I glue mine on to scraps of card for ease of handling. Cheers Wayne.

ps - have sent you a private message on behalf of another forum member (check your inbox).

Return to “General Discussion”