Impetus tokens

A general discussion forum
masada

Impetus tokens

Postby masada » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:41 pm

Am I going wrong with this as I appear to have found a flaw in the way impetus is awarded for charging units.

It seems to me and a few of my opponents that the outcome of a battle could be decided on a single initiative roll.

For example, your central battle lines close to within charge reach of each other. The player who gets the initiative announces that his entire line will charge gaining a pool of tokens. We have been struggling with this and have found it difficult, if not impossible, for the opponent who lost the initiative to recover.

What are we doing wrong, this anomaly is spoiling for us what is otherwise a great game

Thanks in advance for any help

Wayne Richards

Re: Impetus tokens

Postby Wayne Richards » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Ideally you will have built up some momentum tokens from shooting prior to engagement.
Remember the limit is 3 per combat and that overlapping units often result in a single combat - rarely do units line up perfectly with each other.
The charge will earn you 1 or 2 tokens but not getting the charge does not necessarily mean you lose the combat. Also as you are moving second you may be able to take advantage and get on a flank.

MartinG

Re: Impetus tokens

Postby MartinG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:00 am

Also make sure units are mutually supporting in line of battle. It is unlikely that they will be routed by the charging units, and in a prolonged combat they should often be able to swing things as the number of tokens available will drop rapidly. This is especially true with warband types charging Romans or similar. The key is to use the line of battle to fix the opponent and then attempt to exploit a flank.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “General Discussion”