Anglo Danish v Dark Age Scots

Remember he who writes the history wins the battle.
guard

Anglo Danish v Dark Age Scots

Postby guard » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:40 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/guard44/ (Pictures should be at the top of page at present)

Saturdays’ Swordpoint battle was an introduction for another friend into the heady excitement that is Swordpoint - Anglo Danish v Dark Age Scots

The commanders:
Steve & Richard - Anglo Danish
Mick and I - Dark Age Scottish

Points 1,400 per side (Slightly higher than the last game, more troops ready for battle this time out)

Army compositions:
Anglo Danish – Break point 12
King Harold
Ealdorman x4
Huscarl / Fyrd 4&4 bases Unit 1 (Extra Javelin + Stubborn – Sup Fighters)
Huscarl / Fyrd 4&4 bases Unit 2 (Extra Javelin + Stubborn – Sup Fighters)
Huscarl / Fyrd 4&4 bases Unit 3 (Extra Javelin + Stubborn – Sup Fighters)
Huscarl / Fyrd 4&4 bases Unit 4 (Extra Javelin + Stubborn – Sup Fighters)
Fyrd War band 10 bases (Rocks)
Fyrd War band 10 bases (Rocks)
Vikings Close order – 2H Axe - Sup Fighters
Coeri Skirmishers 6 bases - Javelin
Coeri Skirmishers 6 bases - Slings
Coeri Skirmishers 6 bases - Bow

Dark Age Scots – Break point 11
King Macbeth
X3 Sub Generals
X1 Highland Chieftain (Attached to Clansmen)
Skirmish Thanes x6 bases
Skirmish cavalry x6 bases
Skirmish cavalry x6 bases
Norman Knights x8 bases
Thanes x8 bases
Scots Spearmen x12 bases
Scots Spearmen x12 bases
Highland Clansmen x12 bases
Skirmish Javelins x6 bases
Skirmish Javelins x6 bases
Skirmish Viking Bow x6 bases
Skirmish Viking Bow x6 bases

You will see from the pictures the general perception at least from the Scottish side was that a frontal head on Huscarl v Scots spearmen confrontation would give an advantage to the Huscarl / Fyrd units so a let’s keep some distance at the start of the battle was decided (By the Scots) with a general left flank cavalry advance designed to spit the Anglo Danish battle line (Get them to redeploy to meet the threat on their right) The Scot Spear units also moved to their right assisting this objective.

To be honest this tactic probably caused as much confusion to the Scots as it did to the enemy, being somewhat let down by localised unit movement, (“Not getting units in the best tactical position causing a diluted effect”) For example allowing an AD Viking unit to charge and contact a Norman Knight unit on their way to the rear areas of the Huscarl / Fyrd battle lines).

Question, did the Scots spit their enemy initial battle formation – Yes, but they were not able to capitalise quick enough and some units were committed (Norman Knights) too far forward where being slightly in reserve would have been more effective.

The game saw most of the action on the Scots left flank (cavalry attacks / ranged fire) where at game end both sides had viable assets left to fight with. The main battle lines (Huscarl / Fyrd v Spearmen) did not get into the fight so we will never know the outcome (Game time up for the day).

Lots of mistakes and things to remember for the next game but very enjoyable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MartinG

Re: Anglo Danish v Dark Age Scots

Postby MartinG » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:39 am

Nice big game! It might be an idea to play with less troops for a while though and get some games completed? Mind you I know the temptation to play with all the toys much too well!
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:08 am

Nice to see some pictures of a big battle.

The Anglo Danes are fearsome head on so trying to turn a flank is the way to go.

I have found that riding horses can be effective in helping get your Anglo Danish chaps across the battlefield more quickly. This puts pressure on your opponents and can lead to then making mistakes. Not all of your units have to be able to do this.

You may want to experiment with some Welsh archers as allies. They can help hold a flank as cavalry are not keen on them and with a little support can see off some cavalry if in a large enough block and you seem to like big blocks of troops.

guard

Postby guard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi guys , thanks for the advice, you are right we do tend to go for big battles for which these rules are fantastic, really enjoyable. The AD are my army but I was lending them out, myself playing on the Scots side this battle. Welsh allies are in the pipeline.
Times scale wise and finishing a game, we tend to be more leisurely than we should be? Plus there’s lunch to get through, lol
We think we could have played on but the Scots in particular (My mate and I ) were happy to finish and get the draw as we appeared to be on the back foot somewhat, of course if we were winning I am sure we would have played on, lol

LeadMountain

Postby LeadMountain » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:39 am

We got through 10 leisurely turns, but the Scots played a cany delaying game - by the infantry running away the first 4-5 turns. Riding horses is a good idea, i'll need to check the rules on how that works in game.

Return to “Battle Reports”