I am Spartacus

Remember he who writes the history wins the battle.
guard

I am Spartacus

Postby guard » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi Guys
https://www.flickr.com/photos/guard44/ - Pictures top at the moment

Today’s (normally a working “not able to play” day) game is set from Swordpoint’ Classical lists
Commanders for the battle are:

Sam – Imperial Roman Army – 110AD to 193AD
Ian – Imperial Roman Army

John – Slave Army – SA - Spartacus
Dave – Slave Army –SA - Crixus

Points – 1,000 per team
Break – 8 each side

This battle was fought on the sides on Mount Vesuvius where a pitiful horde of slaves generally lacking military training took on the mighty Roman army.

I was expecting a hard battle from the Roman forces, taking into account their higher quality troops types (Legionary units in the main) so behind my confident facade I was quite worried (Thinking the slaves were on to a loser in this battle). The Roman juggernaut advanced with no attempt at concealing their true desire, to mince the upstart slaves into the ground and crucify everyone. (Even themselves I expect).

Opening fire came from the Roman left flank with archers plunging their arrows on to the unprotected slave skirmish slingers (Slave right flank) this did some damage and a base was lost. The slingers were on turn one out of range and had to advance.

The Roman advance began with the slave army more content to wait for their enemy to close the distance; I think in my mind I wanted (On my flank) to allow some room on the right to sweep the SA Noble cavalry round eventually and threaten the Roman rear.

On the SA left flank John’s (Spartacus) mounted slaves (inferior fighters I point out) fought time and time again their counterpart cavalry (Equites Alares) to a standstill, honours even throughout the battle, I see this as real plus point in the game as a not very good unit held up a better unit, nullifying its effect and defending the SA left flank.

The Roman line came within charge range of the SA warbands on the hill prompting the warbands to instigate ferocious charges down from their higher position.
Throughout the rest of the battle the Romans were on the back foot mostly losing combat after combat and being pushed back towards their table edge.

Apart from the above, other points of note in the game would be the heavy devastating fire power from the SA skirmish slingers and the destruction of the legionary unit caught in the flank by the SA Noble cavalry. A Roman commander was also killed in the battle.

The game ended when the Roman generals decided their troops they had taken enough punishment for the day – Win to the slaves.

Really enjoyable game, still learning the rules I would say (Not playing regularly enough) and it needs to be strongly stated that most of the dice gods were cheering on the slaves which hampered the Romans throughout the day.

Armies:
Roman:

General
Legate
Centurion
Legionaries – Raw, light Armour – L Shield – HTS x5 bases
Legionaries – Seasoned Vet, light Armour – L Shield – HTS x5 bases (Drilled / Vet) x5 bases
Legionaries – Seasoned Vet, light Armour – L Shield – HTS x5 bases (Drilled / Vet) x5 bases
Legionaries – Elite, light Armour – L Shield – HTS x5 bases (Superior fighters / Drilled / Vet) x5 bases
Aux – Spear – Shield – x4 bases
Archers – Bow – Open order – Light Armour – Drilled x6 bases
Aux – Open order – Throwing spear – Shield – Light armour - x6 bases
Equites Alares – Guard – Centurion – Light armour – Javelins – Spear – Shield – Drilled - Superior fighters & Shooters - x6 bases

Slave Army:
Spartacus:
General
Gladiator General
Trained slaves x8 bases – Warband – Spear – L Shield – Light Armour – Open order – Stubborn
Trained slaves x8 bases – Warband – Spear – L Shield – Light Armour – Open order - Stubborn
Javelin x6 bases – Inferior fighters – Shield
Mounted slaves x8 bases – Throwing spears - Inferior fighters - Shield

Crixus:
General
Warriors – Close order – Warband – Throwing spear – Shield – Light armour – x 8 bases
Warriors – Close order – Warband – Throwing spear – Shield – Light armour – x 8 bases
Slingers – Sling - Shield
Slingers – Sling - Shield
Noble Cavalry – Spear – Shield – Light armour - Superior fighters – x8 bases
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bob Stradling

Re: I am Spartacus

Postby Bob Stradling » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks - excellent report

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:37 pm

Go slaves! It can be done!
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Superb battle report and pics, Dave! 8-)
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

Return to “Battle Reports”