Numidian Cavalry

tomlong

Numidian Cavalry

Postby tomlong » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:10 pm

I am in the process of rebasing my Carthaginian army. Having not played a game of Swordpoint yet, I am uncertain whether Numidian cavalry would be more effective based in normal order two to a 50mm base or in skirmish order two to a 100mm base.

Bob Stradling

Re: Numidian Cavalry

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Before rebasing everything....

What is the current basing for your cavalry. I have a lot of armies based for WAB 25x50mm for individual models. They have magnetic tape on the bottom of the base.

I have made a whole lot of 50x50mm and 50x100mm bases. The 50x50mm bases are just covered in steel paper (green but will also do some sand ones eventually) The 50x100mm bases I have put two strips of steel paper on (25*50mm) and then textured and decorated the rest of the base. That way I can have my Numidians as either open order or Skirmish as I want. Also saves a whole lot of work rebasing everything.

Do something similar with infantry.

tomlong

Postby tomlong » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:32 pm

That is the voice of wisdom.
They are currently based on Impetus sized based 120mm x 80mm. I suppose a smart person would try each configuration out in actual games before deciding. Just not familiar enough with the rules to know if skirmish cavalry would be effective or would be destroyed easily since they have to get so close to use their javelins.

Nikephorous

Postby Nikephorous » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Another alternative would be to base on 50x50s and have some 25x50 blanks to put at the sides to allow the change to the larger/looser base. ;)
So who decided that a 1 was bad and a 6 good anyway?

tomlong

Postby tomlong » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:11 am

Biggest question for me right now is whether fielding cavalry like Numidians on the big skirmish bases or the regular 50 x 50. It seems like 6 stands of the big bases makes for a really large unwieldy unit. Smaller number of bases, like four, I would think make them vulnerable to cohesion tests. but then, skirmish formation allows all bases to shoot. With the smaller base, only the front rank can shoot

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Remember that in skirmish, you can field the unit 1 base wide and 6 deep with all bases shooting, simulating the "cantabrian circle" or similar. I will be basing my Numidians facing in opposite directions on the base, so that the unit looks to be riding around a central point.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

tomlong

Postby tomlong » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 pm

That's an interesting idea. Generally, do you think skirmish order is the better option for troops like Numidians?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:12 am

As with everything else, it depends on what you expect them to do for you, and what other troops you have in your army to give you a rounded force. At least one unit of skirmishing cavalry can be very useful to either slow enemy foot or help put cavalry under pressure, but don't ask them to do the latter without support!
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

tomlong

Postby tomlong » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Makes sense. Thanks

Return to “Army Lists”