Swindon Event February 2019

MartinG

Re: Swindon Event February 2019

Postby MartinG » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Arcs of vision have not changed, other than the way the "command point" at centre front views things. Bases would still check for own visibility as in your diagram. Yo are correct re shooting at unit B (same diagram as Bob's actually).
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

andy
Site Admin

Postby andy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Table booked for 19.30 in pub on friday night for following:
Andy C
Martin
Andy S
Tony G
Ed McD
Dave P
Dave J

Regards
andy

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Any chance of knowing the first round draw? - not that I am impatient.

andy
Site Admin

Postby andy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Martin,
Arcs of vison not changed? you need to enlighten me here as previously we used the units arc of vision which was much larger than that of the centre point arc of vision to determine if a unit was in line of sight. A units arc of vision is now irrelevant for shooting pruposes - its all down to individual bases arc of vision.

Yeah after I put up 2nd diagram I realised same as Bobs - doh! But good that you were consistent with your response :)

With this extra nerfing of bowmen will you reduce the points value?

I forsee many a kinked line of bowmen going forward to ensure arc of fire of all bases, there goes my OCD on keeping neat battle lines!

oh and probably those 10 base bow units will become a thing of the past as a clever commander will also ensure his units are obscurred reducing the effectivness bow units to the point few will take them.

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi Andy, personally I think that bow armed troops are too cheap at the moment.

You won't be surprised to find out that I have modeled the outcome of an equal number of points of bow armed unit and a spear and shield armed unit. I think in your Welsh list bowmen are cheaper than the spear armed chappies.

With the number of rounds of shooting they can get in you begin to lose bases and then having to take break tests whilst giving up momentum tokens before the combat. Often the bow are open order and can keep on edging back whilst getting in more shots. With spare momentum tokens they are more likely to get the charge when it comes to combat. Obviously they die in droves then....

In a battle this is not quite how it goes as there are lots of units around which complicates things.

I think larger units of bowmen are likely to become a thing of the past when people see the impact and I will certainly be trying to position my target units so as to make then obscured when I can. (Units in shieldwall/phalanx would then be immune to most shooting)

I wonder if the line of sight from the front of the missile unit hits the flank of a unit then should the target still benefit from shieldwall. An alternative is that perhaps you can always hit on a 6!

If you kink your battle line to get extra shots then you will risk exposing a flank and we all know where that ends.

It will make high ground for bow units even more valuable. Whilst I have one or two armies that are bow heavy the majority of them do not have a lot. I have 6 bow shots and 2 javelins shots in my army for Swindon, so it will not be a problem for me.....

On the other hand I think javelins (especially for formed units) are overpiced at 2pts per base. 1pt seems more realistic as you can often go throughout a battle without ever being in a position to use them. Cavlary and open order infantry being able to engage before you have a chance to deploy them.

Enjoy your meal on Friday evening I will join you for the Saturday.

andy
Site Admin

Postby andy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 pm

lots to discuss over a beer this weekend Bob :)

regards
andy

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 am

I look forward to the results of the discussions and of course to seeing what happens when you clever types get to grips with these proposed changes.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 am

Sadly Tony Garry has been taken ill and can't attend. I have therefore dropped out to keep numbers even. The first round draw is as follows:
Table Player Army Player Army

1 Malcolm Barnfield Pontic v Mark Roberts Persian
2 Aitch Parker German v Dave Johnson EIR
3 Chris Hale Seleucid v Andy Sherwell Palmyran
4 v
5 Steve Butler Pontic v Andy Cummings Seleucid
6 Andy Beer Pontic v Dave Pearson Eumenid
7 Dennis Wong Republican Roman v Andy Kershaw Seleucid
8 David Hale Sassanid v Ed McDonald EIR
9 Bob Stradling Pyrrhic v Philip Marshall EIR
10 Mike Harding British Tribes v Keith Tate Han Chinese

andy
Site Admin

Postby andy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 am

As a reminder the swindon event is located at: Moredon Community Centre 1 The Street. Swindon SN25 3ER there is ample parking on site.

The hall will be open from 8.30am on saturday, help in setting up the tables from that time onwards would be greatly appreciated.

There are coffee/tea making facilities - but you need to bring your own stuff to make it.

Mikeharding

Postby Mikeharding » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi Andy, I will be there at 08:30 and happy to help set up. I will bring some milk, coffee and sugar. Dave J and I are bringing some game mats with us, a mixture of grassland and desert. I will have my 2 and I think Dave J will have 6 with him (most are from our club).

Return to “Past Events”