Hussites

PhilipM

Hussites

Postby PhilipM » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi Martin,

This is a query about the Hussite army list. From the list it would appear that both war wagons and wagon tabors are possible – the difference being, as I understand it, war wagons can move but wagon tabors cannot. There is a maximum of 5 wagon tabors but no indication of any maximum for war wagons. Could you clarify the position on this.

Also I had a few questions on how the wagons actually work:
(1) the Hussite wagons appear to have the possibility of carrying artillery but the book of medieval army lists suggests you can only have one base of defenders in addition to the crew in each wagon. So if you have the artillery on a wagon is that the entirely of what can be in that wagon?
(2) Since the defenders per wagon are only one base does this mean you have to assign a base of defenders at the start of the game who always stay with the wagon or are the defenders part of another unit and just assigned to the wagon temporarily so that they can return to their parent unit later? If so how does this work -e.g. does the parent unit have to remain within a certain distance?
(3) When a unit attacks a wagon how many bases do they get to attack with? One base (as in the case of the defenders) or as many bases as can fit alongside the base of the wagon. If the latter the wagon may not last very long as most wagon models would seem to require a large base!

Many thanks and sorry if any these points are already answered elsewhere on the forum

MartinG

Re: Hussites

Postby MartinG » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:28 am

There is no restriction on the number of war wagons, only the 50% minimum for war wagons and infantry.
A single war wagon with its base of defenders counts as a unit and counts as formed in an exception to the usual rule. Multiple war wagons and their crews may form a single larger unit instead. You can mount the artillery piece in addition to the base of defenders, it only shoots and the crew don't take part in any combat. As many attacking bases as may fit fight in the combat, as the longer base gives the defenders an advantage in terms of closing off ground. I would try not to go over 120mm in wagon base length. Remember the attackers will have a -1 to hit penalty and the defenders are probably Defence 3 (no they can't get further benefit by having a pavise!) and that you get to choose which face is presented to the enemy-the crew fight all round so normally you would present the 60mm frontage to them.
I found that by converting a standard wagon model with a single pair of horses, rather than buying a commercial war wagon, you can a) save money and b) keep the base size down to 80mm-100mm.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

PhilipM

Re: Hussites

Postby PhilipM » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:03 am

Many thanks Martin.

Return to “Army Lists”