Shooting - horses, elephants and chariots. Page 13.

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
alaneaston

Shooting - horses, elephants and chariots. Page 13.

Postby alaneaston » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:08 pm

Rule 1.1. (first paragraph only)
1st sentence. A target must be in line of sight, and so must be within a 90degree arc of vision projected from the front of the unit shooting.
2nd sentence. Where models are on square bases this can be imagined easily by projecting a line through the corners of the unit.
3rd sentence. Models mounted on horses, elephants or in chariots are allowed to shoot from any side of their base

My question is this.
A: Is it the intention that models so described in sentence 3 ignore sentences 1 and 2, or,
B: Is it the intention that sentences 1 and 2 do apply and that the 90degree arc of vision is projected from the shooting side of the base, (front, flank or rear), or,
C: Something else.

If the answer is A; what point of the unit is used to measure the range to the target if the unit is shooting to the rear or flank?
If the answer is B; can I assume that the distance to the target is measured from the centre front, flank or rear of the shooting unit depending on which side of the base is shooting?
If the answer is C; Help?

Regards
Alan

Jcspqr

Re: Shooting - horses, elephants and chariots. Page 13.

Postby Jcspqr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:46 pm

I think the answer is that 3 is intendedto over ride 1&2. For measuring range the common sense answer would be to just measure from the center of the facing of the unit in the direction it is firing

alaneaston

Postby alaneaston » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Thank you Jcspqr for your comment.

I agree with you. However, the rule needs clarification and that's what I'm after.

I believe the intention of the rule is that mounted units (horse, elephant or chariot) are able to shoot from their front, flank or rear facing. In order to shoot from a flank or rear facing the target must be in line of sight and so lie in a 90 degree arc projected from the facing that the shooting unit is shooting from, i.e. front, flank or rear. The distance to the target is measured from the centre of the facing that is shooting.

As the rules are written at the moment all distances to a target are measured from a units centre front. rule1.3.
Regards
Alan

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:13 pm

You are correct in your belief Alan.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Andyjp

Postby Andyjp » Mon May 15, 2017 8:49 am

Shooting from Light chariots, is it just one rank of shooters or multiple ranks like skirmishes?
At the moment they less effective than skirmishes on foot.
Cheers
Andy

"Religious wars are basically people killing each other over who has the better imaginary friend" -Napoleon Bonaparte

Andyjp

Postby Andyjp » Mon May 15, 2017 11:27 am

[quote=Andyjp post_id
Shooting from Light chariots, is it just one rank of shooters or multiple ranks like skirmishes?
At the moment they less effective than skirmishes on foot.
Hi I think I've been playing the shooting rules wrong. If I've just read the rules correctly page 13; formed units with bow etc shoot from two ranks not one. At the weekend I was only using bow from my cavalry front rank.
So to answer my own question
Light chariot with bow can fire in two ranks, with javelin only from the front rank.
Any one agree?
Cheers
Andy

"Religious wars are basically people killing each other over who has the better imaginary friend" -Napoleon Bonaparte

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon May 15, 2017 4:03 pm

I agree with you Andy.

Andyjp

Postby Andyjp » Tue May 16, 2017 7:38 am

Cheers bob
This makes formed cavalry a lot better.
Cheers
Andy

lero

Postby lero » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:58 pm

Rules and QRC do not say the same thing, two ranks of shooters p13 and only one for QRC.
I believe rules should prevail. Because it should be hard to explain why combined formation can shoot from behind a first rank but not a second rank if the first are also shooters.
This make a big difference as shooting comes before charging and with two rank of three bases you shoot 6 dices and so have a decent probability to put 10% casualties and so benefits from discouraged opponent in combat.
But I remembered reading QRC and only one rank is the rule but i can't find it where...
So clarification should be made in the FAQ or QRC.

A Lot of Gaul

Postby A Lot of Gaul » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:58 pm

You remembered correctly, Lero. The discrepancy on the QRS (v1.4) is on the first page, 2. Shooting Phase, chart at top of column for # Shooting Dice for Formed Mounted. In past cases of discrepancies between the rulebook and the QRS, the rulebook has prevailed. Hopefully Martin will be able to give us a definitive ruling. A correction could then be included in the FAQ and/or QRS v1.5.
Last edited by A Lot of Gaul on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~ Gaius Julius Caesar

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”