Using late republican Roman armies?

Tim Haslam

Using late republican Roman armies?

Postby Tim Haslam » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:19 pm

I've only just had a quick read through of the rule book, and not actually played any games yet.
Nor have I got a copy of the classical army book yet!
I am assuming that late republican Roman armies are still the same as in most other rule sets, and haven't gained flame throwers and V2 rockets?

I'm just wondering what size units is best to field the legionaries in?
Am I best going multiple small unit, in say 4 bases or should I go bigger?
And do I need to max out on support troops or bulk up on legionaries?

What would be very helpful, would be a sample 1000pt list off one of you guys?
Or are tournaments going down the 1500pt route!

Thanks in advance
Tim

Wayne Richards

Re: Using late republican Roman armies?

Postby Wayne Richards » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi Tim - events will usually be 1000pts, the exception being the Pillage which is 1500pts.
For your Romans I would suggest units of 5 bases so that you get the close order and depth bonus. you could add a "commander" base to the unit so that it looked more aesthetically pleasing (ie on a 120mm x 80mm movement tray).
The Romans are solid and you won't be removing many bases as casualties.
I would always throw in a couple of cavalry units to look after your flanks as if you get flanked then your toast.
I would go for a balance of troop types rather than betting the farm on one type or another.
Welcome back....cheers W.

Gerry Brawley

Postby Gerry Brawley » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:13 pm

Ditto for Carthaginians please :-)

Tim Haslam

Postby Tim Haslam » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Cheers Wayne.
Gerry, bugger off my thread :lol:

So are Centurians classed as 'commanders' ?
So five bases of legionaries and another 40X40 base with a Centurian and other command figures on?

In the old fantasy days, you had,
Champions
Heroes
Generals
Is that how Swordpoint works?

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi Tim,

Centurions are Commanders. They (Commanders) add cohesion (leadership) and attacks. The General also has some other benefits think ASB. They cannot be individually targeted, but can die if a unit takes a casualty (roll of 10,11 or 12 depending on the type of commander and the circumstances). There are no challenges. There are some 'odd' commanders such as beserkers that have their own rules. Also you don't get to use their extra attacks unless the centre front of the unit is in contact with the enemy.

I think the Republican Romans benefit from the Stamina rule. So need to lose 5 figures to lose a base. If they have a large shield and Light Armour they have a 4+ save so that would suggest 10 unsaved hits to lose (the first base) so that means they are more durable than many other types.

As for composition it will be down to how you like to work your armies. As Wayne says a unit on your flank is not good, cavalry (non-barded) is so mobile that if you are not careful then you can suddenly find your flanks exposed. Especially as the initiative for movement can mean you can (sometimes) move twice before your opponent.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Tim Haslam

Postby Tim Haslam » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Cheers Bob.

Most people seem to base late republicans on Caesar and his escapades, but I was thinking of Pompey in Greece or even further afield, Crasus in Parthia?
So funnily enough I have bought a couple of units of half decent cavalry for my flanks.

But, this is me with my gamely head on, as a game system, are my legionaries best in multiple small units or less but bigger units?
I'd prefer small multiple units as this looks better on the table for Romans, but does it suffer from the way the game plays?

Thanks again
Tim

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:34 am

Hi Tim,

Open order only takes 3 unsaved hits to remove a base. So you may want to make these larger especially if you will be facing lots of shooting.
Close order take 4 unsaved hits and if you have a good armour save, which Roman's generally do, then it takes quite a lot of shooting/combat to remove a base. Stamina means for some Roman lists you actually need 5 hits. So yes units of 5/6 bases should work.

Cavalry with only two hits per base can be particularly vulnerable to shooting.

Having some ranged shooting is really helpful, to build up your pool of momentum tokens prior to combat. Bow armed infantry can be surprisingly effective even in combat and can hang around due to the benefits of line of battle. Skirmishing bow (Cretan's ;-) are restricted in size so it becomes more difficult to concentrate fire on a unit, especially with the fire priority rules.

We are still all experimenting as to what works well. I came 3rd with a Anglo Danish Army at the first tournament. I had no bow, 1 unit of skirmishers some vikings in open order (5 bases) and the rest were combined units of huscarls and fyrd (3 bases of each). I suffered in the early rounds and the vikings got targeted by my opponents shooting but had the benefit in combat of superior fighters in shieldwall and quite a lot of luck!

Bob

Return to “Classical Armies”