Swindon Event February 2019

Bob Stradling

Re: Swindon Event February 2019

Postby Bob Stradling » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Quick query about the proposed shooting changes. A bow armed unit has two potential targets A and B. Unit A is the closest unit and Unit B is not in a position to charge. However, unit A is obscured as it is out of the arc of the endmost base on the front rank of the shooting unit whilst B is not obscured.

1 Is all shooting is now made at a -2 modifier against A as it is the closest unit
or
2 Can the shooter chose to target B as it can be seen by all the bases

If in the answer is 1 and target A is also a phalanx with an additional -1 to hit most troops would not be able to hit, so in this case could they now target B or are they deemed to have to fire in vain at target A?

Davidh

Postby Davidh » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:06 pm

I also have a question but regarding firing at elephants. As a bow armed unit could be firing from behind another unit at an elephant (tall target), I assume that they can still fire as previously and they can 'see' all of the elephant and therefore fire at full effect, or is it instead with the -1 or -2 modifiers?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:36 am

As all bases now shoot at all targets, the option to switch to a secondary target no longer exists.
The factors relating to the shooting attempt are not relevant to target selection
An elephant is still visible over intervening troops
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:10 pm

Just checking my understanding with some diagrams
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:57 am

Yes all those are correct.

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:23 am

Hip hip hurray! I got it right. I understand the rule changes, just have to finish painting and basing the army. Tick tock, tick tock.........

andy
Site Admin

Postby andy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 am

Great diagrams Bob.
Further clarifications please Martin:

1. "A unit may only shoot if its centre front can see the target unit." Does this centre front point use the units arc of vision, or does it use its own 40mm wide base arc of vision to determine what it can see?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 am

Neither. Arc of vision at the centre point of the unit. It's the bloke saying "loose!" that we are concerned with.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am

All lists now checked and correct, there are 20 players. Most popular army is Seleucid (4) followed by Pontic (3) and EIR (3). In all there are 9 pike armies, 2 cataphract armies and 3 "barbarian" armies in the mix. The rest are 1 Chinese, 4 Roman and 1 Persian.

andy
Site Admin

Postby andy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Martin - thanks for that clarification so I fully understand, not that I have a lot of bow this weekend but it will have a dramatic impact n my Welsh army...

Can you please confirm that distance to target unit is still measured from front centre point of unit and not each individual base front centre point to determine what bases can fire. (Note I believe this the case as one of of your bullet points in the new rules says: "A unit may only shoot if its centre front can see the target unit. All missile-armed bases in the unit will then shoot even if some bases cannot see the target"

(all images to scale)

Can you confirm the diagram below is correct for arc of fire:
Blue - New rule
Green - Original rule
(Distance arc is measured from front centre point of unit)

In the following diagram Unit B is in a position to charge Unit A which is 1 inch away. Unit A, Base X is not in arc of vision therefore unit B is obscurred so now all shooting is at -2 because not all the frontage of Unit A can see the target - Correct? (Previously all bases would shoot at normal effect, as all in arc and range)

Please confirm Arc of vision of an individual base in a unit is the 90 degree arc projected from its frontage, and not 90 degree arc from front centre point of the base?

Cheers
Andy

Return to “Past Events”