Close order charge limited to 4" or 8"??

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
olivier

Close order charge limited to 4" or 8"??

Postby olivier » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:54 am

Apologies if this topic has already been covered earlier, but we need further clarification:

a) Is charge (like a normal movement) of a Close Order Infantry limited to half-move (4") due to the presence of enemy within 8"?
My opponent argued that technically a charge is not a "movement", hence potential difference of treatment.
Also this limitation to charges did not apply in "predecessor" rules such as WAB2.
Therefore, can Martin or anyone else kindly confirm?

b) in a prior topic, Martin stated " Close order can only exceed 4"charge in the circumstances outlined in your other strand.", but I fail to understand what exception he is referring to:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1037&p=2922#p2922
Can someone please explain again?

c) and finally, just to clarify I get it right (in case (1) is correct):
if a Close Order Infantry wants to charge an Open Order one, the Open Order is actually always able to move back by 4" (about-face for 1/2 movement, then 4" move, then second about-face for free), therefore the Close Order infantry will never be able to reach its Open Order opponent - unless of course it bumps into an obstacle or reaches the border of the table.
Is this correct?

Thank you! :) :) :)

Bob Stradling

Re: Close order charge limited to 4" or 8"??

Postby Bob Stradling » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am

a) A charge is in fact movement - so close order infantry are restricted to a 4" charge move (3" if not straight ahead|).

The only exceptions that I can think of are; all close order troops in a position to charge the flank of an opponent and who have no enemy within 8" and, some Drilled Roman Legionaries from the EIR and MIR lists. In both situations if they charge more than 4" they are not deemed to be in close order, but open order.

b) I imagine these exceptions are what Martin is referring to.

c) I frequently have close order charging open order. If a close order unit is within charge range and declares a charge the open order has to give a charge response which is stand. They can then not move back. They cannot elect to flee. If they have the Evade ability (pretty rare) then they can evade!

It can be difficult for a close order unit to bring an open order unit to combat, which should be the case as it is more maneuverable. That is why you need a mix of open order and close order troops. If your opponent keeps retreating then you will eventually push him off the the board. Job done! Alternatively if they keep retiring they may well expose the flank of his main battle line, again job done!

olivier

Postby olivier » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks so much Bob, clear and prompt! :)

Bitesyurr

Postby Bitesyurr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:56 am

I believe that the exception to the movement restriction appies to drilled Legionaries from teh Latre Repluican and Early Imperial lists (it is in the Classical lists errata). Does not seem to apply to the Polybian or Middle Imperial lists.

Note, there is a cost to using this ability (or other close order charging flanks/rear and moving more than 4 inches). ANy unit that does this looses the melee resolution modifier for being close order until the melee is resolved.
Lancastrians
Ceasarian Romans (well a pile of boxes ATM)
Vikings (next year).

Always ready to roll a 12 for Cohesion!

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”