Reason for mounted Skirmishers

A general discussion forum
The Octagon

Reason for mounted Skirmishers

Postby The Octagon » Wed May 15, 2019 10:14 am

Hello!

As the subject title says, I have a bit of trouble understanding why one should take mounted skirmishers instead of formed cavalry. -1 in firing at skirmishers might be a reason for survivability for fewer bases, but are there any other? Evading charging troops is a reason as well but if formed cavalry already have it like Breton retainers?
Should I pick mounted skirmishers to act as fast screening units to protect one's heavier cavalry from ranged fire? Or can they be used as skirmish hunters, as they may not charge formed troops but it says nothing against other skirmishers?

All in all, have I already answered my own questions? Have you had success with mounted Skirmishers? I think units equipped with bows like huns might fare better than those who got javelins or just spears, but you may have an answer that as well.

Thanks,

//Dag

MartinG

Re: Reason for mounted Skirmishers

Postby MartinG » Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 am

All troop types have their strengths and weaknesses depending on what they are facing. Skirmish cavalry are great at holding up enemy movement and general harassment, also you can often use them to concentrate shooting on a single unit. Spear armed skirmish cavalry can chase down other skirmishers. Do remember that these cavalry are in the lists because they were used by the historical army and a lot of their real-world uses are off battlefield. If you are lucky enough to be able to field formed cavalry with Evade and a good D value then go for those.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

The Octagon

Re: Reason for mounted Skirmishers

Postby The Octagon » Wed May 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Ah, of course, I forgot the historical perspective, the most important factor. Silly me. Thank you, for your answer.

Return to “General Discussion”